Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

A History of Violence

We watched A History of Violence the other night.

This was a pretty good film. It dragged in places, but when it came time for the action, this movie packed a wallop.

It is the story of Tom Stall, a mild mannered owner of a diner in a small town. He foils a couple of killers who come to wreck a little havoc in his diner, instantly catapulting him to local hero status. Unfortunately, all the publicity brings him to the attention of some really bad men from his past. Things get a little sticky and a whole lot of interesting as he struggles to maintain the new life he made for himself and protect his family.

There is (obviously) quite a bit of graphic violence in this film, but with the addition of some fairly graphic love scenes and fair amount of nudity, this is definitely not a kid-friendly movie. For everyone else, have at it; I think you’ll enjoy it.

Rating: 4 Stars




9 Comments:

At 4:51 AM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T EVEN LIKE SUGGESTIONS OF THE NATURE OF THE MOVIE - not really a spoiler, but still...I don't want anyone yelling at me.

I liked this movie. One of the things I noticed the second time through was just how well Viggo Mortensen played the role. In fact, it's worth watching a second time just to study his reactions because once you've seen the whole thing and know how it unfolds, you can interpret everything he does in a different way, and it just shows you how brilliant he is in the part.

I think few actors could have really pulled it off.

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Oh, I agree Sandra. He played the role brilliantly. during that first scene in the Cafe, he never even flinched when he looked at that one guy. (YEs, I'm trying to be overly vague here, so as not to spoil it.) :D

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

Yeah and you have to pay such close attention to all his facial nuances - seriously amazing.

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger lime said...

ok, i skipped sandra's comment and your response. i have wanted to see this one too. can ya tell i don't get out to the movies or even the video store that often? lol your review has me sold, i gotta see this one.

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

I like the plot - really like it when the apparently helpless reveal extraordinary strengths under pressure.

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

no doubt, Sandra.

Lime, I think you'll find it worth the trip to the video store. :D

I do as well, Bernita.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

Lime, I think you're both wise, and in for a real treat.

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger snavy said...

I'm glad you liked it. I have it in my netflix - should be on its way soon.

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Steph, you will have to let me know if you liked it too. :D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.