Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Friday, April 21, 2006

Friday Flash

The Long Road


The warmth is comforting. I hear drums in the distance. They play a soothing melody. Is it meant to lull me? I’m not sure how long I’ve been here, but I’m sure I’ve been here before. I push out with my foot, exploring the limits of my confinement. I press against something yielding, pliable, viscous. It bounces back as I retract my foot.

It’s dark here. I can feel my eyelids open and close, but it makes no difference; the darkness is complete. Yes, I’ve been here before. When was that? What happened to me? How did I get away? Why would I want to leave? The closeness in here is so…comforting.

I can feel something moving around me. No…I’m being moved. Where are they taking me. The drums are beating faster. I remember the drums from…perhaps, I don’t remember after all. Why are they important? It seems they should be. What are they doing out there? Vibrations disturb my peace. I can barely hear the drums. I push with both hands. Please make them stop. I like the drums. Yes, I’ve been here before.

Something is wrong. I can’t place it. Something’s…changed. It’s getting smaller in here. The walls are crashing in, smothering me, squeezing me. This isn’t déjà vu. I remember this now. I know where I am. I remember--

I’m being crushed. Oh my God, I remember. This can’t be happening again. It hurts so bad, I want to cry out. I can’t. Not yet. I feel their hands on me. The light burns into me. I remember. Please don’t do this to me…not again. I see the glint of steel looming closer. The lights are so bright.

No please! Don’t cut that. If you cut that-- No, it will all slip away. If you cut me there, I’ll forget. I don’t want to do this again. NO, NO, NO! Get away from--

The doctor stands, wraps the shaking body in a blanket before turning to face the expectant faces.

“It’s a boy!”

14 Comments:

At 4:54 AM, Blogger lime said...

wow! what a fabulous perspective to choose. well done once again.

 
At 5:05 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks, Lime. I'm glad you liked it. BTW, did you ever finish DOP?

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

Like the reincarnation hint, James.

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger MyUtopia said...

Neat!

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Bernita, that's my little message in the big message lol.

Thanks, myutopia

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

So, is anyone going to psychoanalyze you, James?

Very cool perspective!

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

The voice in my head tell me to steer clear of anyone who might out them. :D

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Breazy said...

OMG! That was really awesome. I didn't expect the outcome at all . When I first started reading and you mentioned hearing the drums beat then getting faster , my mind went straight to the Highlands of Scotland and a book that own and cherish writen by Diana Gabaldon. Really great short story! I enjoy these on fridays since you can't put the others on here . Heck I am just glad that I still get to read your work! I hope you have a great weekend !

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks, Breazy. That means a lot. You have a great weekend too.

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous snavy said...

Wow -- that was incredible!!!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

I'm glad you liked it, Snavy.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger For The Trees said...

Ah, James...you had me going. I was sure it was some sort of native ritual, or alien abduction with a brain surgery operation...but then you kept throwing in the "been here before" thing. The reincarnation aspect was wonderful!

Man, you write good story! I'm in awe! Thanks for a great read!

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks, Forrest. I aim to please. :D

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work medical information about depakote Toyota rav4 2004 2005 http://www.bigpicturesroses.info/charity-domains-go2clickbank-com.html Cessation quit smoking Severance web design B acyclovir b dosage Melatonin drug interactions accutane http://www.oldsmobile-achieva.info/Aol-domain-registration.html Baby doll footwear Mens track jacket domain names http://www.isuzuvehicrossforsale.info/kentucky-state-university-registrar.html Innovation merchant account Fioricet fiorciet keyword noticias call center registrar general department jamaica

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.