Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Friday, April 14, 2006

Friday Flash

In Sickness and In Health


The love Marcus held in his heart knew no bounds. Sabrina was everything he had ever hoped for. She occupied his every waking thought since the moment he met her. It broke him up inside to see her so angry, hurt…sad.

“Why won’t you just talk to me?” He pleaded with her back as she refused to face him.
“What have I done to deserve this?”
He stepped closer, letting his breath move her hair. Her scent was intoxicating. He wanted to soothe her, to take her in his arms, to squeeze away her sorrows. He knew better than to touch her. Nothing good ever came from his touch when she was in one of her moods.

“I know you’re upset, Sabrina,” he began, letting his fingers glide just above the skin of her exposed shoulder. “Please just talk to me. Let me be here for you. I can’t fix this, if you don’t tell me what’s wrong.”

Her shoulders slumped, moving farther away from his touch. She let her face drop, chin resting on her chest. Is she going to fall? he wondered as he watched her fold into herself. He couldn’t resist; he had to help her sit down before she fell down. He cupped her elbows softly, guiding her to the sofa. She fell into the cushions, defeated, broken, still refusing to meet his eye.

He studied the trail of mascara that washed over her cheeks. Though the center of the stream was still fluid, the outer edges had already begun to dry and flake. Seeing her face in such a disheveled state reminded him of a painted mask. It couldn’t be real. The doctor said she was uninjured. Maybe he was dreaming. Maybe she had been dreaming. Nothing he could have said or done would have brought such sorrow. The pain couldn’t be real, the doctor had said there was nothing wrong. Her anguish must be imagined.

“Tell me what I can do,” he began, choking on the last of his words. “Anything…I will do whatever it takes to help you get through this.”

He reached out to caress her face, but something in her eyes gave him pause. His fingers hovered so close he could feel the heat from her skin.

“Go away,” she whispered.
“You can’t be serious.” He stared at her, willing her to look him in the eye. “What has gotten into you?”
“It’s not good for me to talk to you anymore.” He watched the muscles of her throat contract and expand as she swallowed hard. “You’re hurting me. Your being here isn’t right anymore.”

“That’s ridiculous, Sabrina. The doctor said there was nothing wrong with you.”
“How do you know that?” she whispered.
Her eyes unfocused as she stared at the wall behind him.
“I was there, remember?”
“No.” She whispered so lightly, he could barely hear her. “We were at the party and--”
“I’m not talking about the party, God damn it.” He struggled to contain his emotions. Why is she doing this to me?

“Oh, Marcus,” she sobbed. “That other car, the red light…I can still hear the scream of our brakes. That sound…the sound of glass breaking and metal bending--”
“I know it scared you and I said I’m sorry. So, I had a few too many glasses of wine. It couldn’t’ have been that bad or they would have thrown me in jail.”
“You rammed us into that other car.” She let herself fall to her side on the couch, staring up at the ceiling.

“But you’re alright. You came out of the crash with a few scratches.”
“But you didn’t.” She looked at him suddenly, finally seeing him, seeing through him. “You died.”

9 Comments:

At 6:17 AM, Blogger lime said...

have i mentioned how glad i am that you decided to do this on fridays? another wonderful buildup to a wallop of an ending.

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks, Lime. I'm not sure I will do one every Friday, but I'll give it a shot. :D

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger snavy said...

Man!! That gave me such chills!! I love when a writer can do that!!! Do you know how great you are???

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

Lovely twist James.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

good story !

 
At 3:04 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

Excellent twist, James!
See, said you'd be good!

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Jerry said...

Happy Easter, Goody!!

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Oh, and Happy Easter to you as well, Jerry.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.