Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Book Review: My Death

I just finished reading My Death by Lisa Tuttle.

I had this story figured out fairly early on. I read on, nearly every page lending itself to support my thoughts on where the story was going. I was wrong.

This novella is painstakingly crafted to suck you in, lead you along a clear-cut path only to have the path…no more than that, your reality yanked away from you.

The narrator is a writer living a life of isolation in Scotland. She struggles to get her life back in order after the death of her husband a year and a half ago.

She realizes she has to move on and meets with her agent to discuss a book proposal. She arrives in Edinburgh early and takes the time to visit a museum. A painting by W.E. Logan, Circe, inspires her to write a biography of the model for the painting, Helen Ralston.

As the story unfolds, the writer realizes she and the 96 year old subject of her book have several events in their lives that mirror each other.

Throughout the story there are hints that this indeed a genre story, but it isn’t until the very indeed that you truly know that this is a fringe horror story.

I highly recommend this book to anyone. I don’t care what genre you prefer…chances are you are going to enjoy this book.

Rating: 4 stars.

6 Comments:

At 7:02 AM, Blogger lime said...

it sounds great! now if i could just get through the other dozen i have on my list to read i could read this too:-((

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Breazy said...

I always love your book reviews and I am definately going to have to check this one out because of your description . Thanks!

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

You'll get there, Lime. :D

Thanks, Breazy. I hope you enjoy it.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger snavy said...

Oh yeah!! This is going on my list!! I mean, if you like it, it HAS to be good!! Thanks.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks, Snavy. Oh, BTW Tomorrow I plan to post my first ever Flash Fiction. Be sure to come back and check it out...

 
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! »

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.