Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Saw II Review

I figured that Saw II would be twisted, but I had know idea it would be so…good. For those of you who watched Saw there will be several questions answered and yes a few new ones raised.

“Oh, yes…there will be blood,” Jigsaw informs us. You know what? He’s right. A police detective finds that a serial killer has his son. He has placed the boy into a house full of “tests” with a group of hardcore criminals. Just to make sure there is enough pressure, he has filled the house with a slow acting nerve agent that will kill the occupants if they stay in the house to long. There are anecdotes but the participants have to pass a series of tests designed to make them face their crimes against humanity to find them. Yeah, that sounds like a good time for all concerned.

There are plenty of twists and turns in this one. I thought I had it figured out no less than six times and was wrong to the very end.

Here’s the thing, you expect it to be gory, but what you don’t expect is the way it gets under your skin. It is psychologically disturbing on a level I only wish I could attain in my own creative endeavors. It is a sneaky kind of scary, the kind that you don’t notice while you are watching the movie. No, it waits until you are alone with your thoughts and haunts you mercilessly. Luckily, the effects aren’t lasting. Once you realize what is causing your…discomfort, you can easily (relatively) shrug it off and move on. I haven’t watched a movie that truly got to me since I was a child. I now own this one.

It is a rare event when a sequel meets or exceeds the quality of the original, but I have to say this one fits the bill. I intended to watch them both back to back at some point in the near future.

I highly recommend this movie to anyone who is a fan of horror. Hell, I recommend it to anyone who isn’t, if nothing else just for the experience of it.


Rating: five stars.



Image hosted by Amazon

4 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Blogger lime said...

but skeery movies skeer me.....i'm a big wuss. i admit it. truth be told, i had nightmares for a week after reading a vampire story as a kid. hehehehe.

we have a house full of sick people this weekend and have been watching movies endlessly. GalaxyQuest has been the big winner. My son and I have been laughing hard enough to shake the roof on that one.

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

I was really surprised myself at how good this movie was because like you said normally a sequel isn't this good . We are in the habit of buying dvds instead of renting them and we just happened to buy the first one so there was no question about buying the second one . I am glad it didn't turn out like The Ring and Ring II. I thought The Ring II was poorly done but anyways , I totally agree with you on this movie review!

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Lime, I've been sick this weekend too. I hope your house gets well soon. So, you don't like to be skeered? :D

It's good to be surprised like that isn't it, Breazy?

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

Oh yes it is ! :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.