Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Rambles and Rumbles

Holy smokes, but I’ve been busy of late. Not only has my workload increased at the day job, but I have polished away on The Dance, getting it in good shape for queries. I still have comments from to beta readers out, so I haven’t finalized the entire book, but I have buffed the living dickens out of the first three chapters. As slow as things seem to move in this business, I will be shocked if I am asked for a full manuscript before I get my suggested revisions back. I still have a pretty lengthy synopsis, 1900 words for the detailed one, but I think the 1200 word one I boiled it down to is still pretty heavy. I have a 205 word one that I am using in my query, but (and I’m sure that most of you feel the same way) I just don’t think it captures what the book is really all about. I modified the one that I posted on here back in December. It is now a 370 word cast of characters, geared toward letting the characters tell the reader about their role in the novel. I think it comes closer to capturing the true feel of the book than the shorter one, but then--yeah, nothing short of reading it will really give that feeling.

Looking back over that last paragraph, perhaps I should include Rambling in the title of this blog. Oh, well.

On top of working on The Dance, I worked diligently on turning the first novel I ever wrote into something worth reading. The pruning shears ran wild. Man, but I sucked as a writer when I first started this gig. By the time I weeded out everything that wasn’t relevant it was smaller than the novella I have coming out this year. Wow, do I give up on it again? Look for ways to fill in the holes without it coming off as filler? No, I did what any sensible writer would do, I fell back on a comment from a dear friend who talked me out of scrapping this book in the first place. When she read it, she said it gave the impression of being a giant prologue for the rest of the series. Guess what--she was right. I broke out the shears one more time and low and behold, I found that with a little love and care, I could combine the first two books and maybe, just maybe, come out with a book worth reading. I am still quite a ways from finishing, but damn--I like the way it is shaping up.

Remember, keep your comments coming, I am actually one of those people who listen to advice. Who would have thunk? Alas, that’s all the time I have for now. These pages won’t type themselves. Although, wouldn’t it be cool if they could. Have a great day!

5 Comments:

At 5:29 AM, Blogger lime said...

i'm excited for you. i can feel your passion about writing in this 'rambling.' i am loving DOP and tickled to get to watch the work in progress. thanks for letting us all in on it.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks Lime, it is an exciting time indeed.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Breazy said...

Good luck on the shaping up of The Dance ! I haven't had time to read Tuesdays chapter of DOP but I will get to it sometime tonight . Do you have a definate date on the book hitting the shelves ?

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

No date as of yet. I am hoping that I will hear something soon.

 
At 7:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! » » »

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.