Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The Rents...

It was brought to my attention that I haven’t posted any movie reviews in quite some time. So, in an effort to make amends, I now present you with three of them. I am instituting a five star system, which I plan to use on all future reviews.

First on Deck is Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Angelina Jolie is arguably one of the hottest actresses of our time and Brad Pitt is no slouch himself. You would think pairing the two would make for a dynamite movie. In actuality, it made for a decent movie. It was full of action and heavy on the idea of love conquers all, but I just wasn’t feeling it. I don’t know…maybe I was just expecting more, but this movie left me feeling unfulfilled. Most of the dialogue was a little trite and most of the action sequences were a bit overused. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t so horrible that I regretted watching it, but I definitely won’t be adding this one to my collection.
The basic premise is that they are both super assassins, living as man and wife, but totally ignorant to the fact that they share occupations. When they are both contracted to kill the same target, all hell breaks loose. They are pitted against each other, but where one is a formidable opponent, together they become almost unstoppable…almost.
I give this one two stars.



The second movie up for dissection review is War of the Worlds. If you don’t know what this movie is about, you’ve been living under a rock. Sadly, that may have been its downfall with me. It was a good movie, but I found it a little too predictable. The special effects were great and crazy scientologist guy Tom Cruise gave a fabulous performance. There were moments that touched the heart and moments that touched that special place that finds mass destruction kind of…cool.
Aliens attack the world and we flail against their superior technology. One man struggles against to get his family to safety as extermination squads tend to the masses. In the end, will man overcome this new menace? I guess you will have to watch the movie to find out (like you don’t already know…).
This one gets three stars.



And yes, I saved the best for last. The winner of this round of The Rents is Hostage. Bruce Willis is the tame one in this movie and that’s saying something. This movie is filled with bad guys, good guys and guys that you just don’t know where they fall. It has more weaves and turns than a drunken game of twister. Man o man, I can’t say enough good things about this movie.
Bruce Willis plays a hostage negotiator that looses his taste for the game, when a hostage situation results in the death of a child. He finds a job as The Chief of Police for a quiet little town. Unfortunately for him and his family, the town doesn’t remain that way. Two brothers, that are borderline punks, team up with a teenage psychopath bent on jacking cars. They try to steal an escalade from the garage of a seriously wealthy book cooker accountant. The heist quickly degenerates into a full blown hostage situation. Boy, did they pick the wrong house as the accountant works for some seriously evil and powerful people. There are several references that if read in just the right light, might suggest that the client is actually the government, but they never really come out and say it. Needless to say, when the shit hits the fan here, it is spread far and wide. I can’t really say more than that without giving too much away.
This baby rates a four and half stars.

8 Comments:

At 6:59 AM, Blogger lime said...

thanks for the tips! angelina is indeed gorgeous beyond words. it's just not fair, hahaha.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Bonnie Calhoun said...

Hi goody,

I popped over from bernita's....I love all of those movies. I bought Mr.&Mrs. Smith this weekend and have watched it three times so far.

sorry I don't come by more, but the white writing on black background causes a wicked headache!

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

I'm sorry to hear that Bonnie. I have a second blog, for just such an emergency. It is white with black writing. If you would like to check it out it is at:
http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/jamesgoodman/

Thanks for risking the headache to stop by, though. :)

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Lol! Lime, don't worry you are a total hottie! :)

 
At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Jerry said...

Goody,
You may want to rent some more flicks tonight in case we get snowed in tomorrow. If so, it will probably all be gone by the weekend. I'm in T-Town for three weeks, so I'm carbo-loading at Taco Bueno while I'm here.
Jerry

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Lol! Welcome back and yes the thought did cross my mind. I am actually praying for a blizzard, but am expecting just a dusting. If I'm snowed in, that give me ample opportunity to catch up on a few things around (the inside) of the house.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

I have to agree with you on Mr. & Mrs. Smith . I didn't like it at all . I think Angelina Jolie is pretty but she went a bit far with the lips and I can't stand to look at her much . I haven't viewed the other two movies yet . Have a good one . Btw.. I plan on emailing you reguarding the Adderall XR /ADHD but have not had ample time as of yet . Maybe after sunday I can have time . :)

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot!
mattress stores in las vegas How long is a twin mattress http://www.gene27s-trout-fishing-resort.info/southwest-florida-fishing-tackle.html Volvo white Foam mattresses consumer reports Cheap crib mattress Ambien cds eames mattresses and manufacturer

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.