Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Thursday, December 29, 2005

More Rents

As promised, I have returned to give you a few more movie reviews.

The Dukes of Hazzard was campy, outrageous and very similar to the old T.V. series. Having said that, I actually enjoyed it. Sean William Scott and Johnny Knoxville have an excellent on screen chemistry. Without their interaction, this movie would have been a flop. As it is I would recommend it to anyone looking for a few good laughs without having to use too many brain cells to keep up with the jokes.
Rating: 3 Stars.

Image hosted by Amazon

Next up we have The Skeleton Key . This was a pretty good watch. It is a story of a hospice worker from New Orleans that accepts a job caring for a dieing man that lives way out in the boonies. It is filled with hoodoo (not to be confused with voodoo, mysterious rooms and its fair share of ghosts. There are just enough twists and turns in the plot to keep you guessing. It is a dark film, but not overtly scary. It’s worth watching, but I wouldn’t add it to my personal collection.
Rating: 3 Stars.

Image hosted by Amazon

We also watched The Exorcism of Emily Rose . This was a disturbing little film that is based on a true story. I found myself sucked into the story line and was almost shocked when it ended. When a young girl dies a priest is put on trial for her death. Yes, at first thought you might imagine that she died during the exorcism, but…well, perhaps I should let you watch this one to see how it unfolds. I recommend it to anyone who is not squeamish about watching horrors that might actually be real.
Rating: 4 Stars.

Image hosted by Amazon

Next up is The Ring Two . This movie had great special effects and answered a few more questions that were left dangling in the first one. Having said that, it seemed to recycle a lot of material from the first. It is the story of a little girl with special powers that is so feared that she is thrown into a well by her adopted family. Understandably, this just pises her off and she goes on a worldwide killing spree. Uh, wait how can she kill anyone if she’s dead. Oh, that’s right, she uses her powers to create a video tape that when watched gives the viewer one week to live if they don’t pass the tape to some other unsuspecting soul. Yeah, it’s just the way it sounds. I’m not sorry I watched it, but it was definitely a one time viewing. This is a renter not a keeper.
Rating: 3 Stars.

Image hosted by Amazon

Last but not least, we take on the story of The Brothers Grimm . This movie also had great special effects, good acting and a (I hope) familiar storyline. It was a good watch, but again one that I will only see once. It incorporates several fairy tales into one adventure. The Brothers Grimm are actually con men, preying on the superstitions of simple villagers. That is until they come across a real life ghost. Will the con artists rise to the occasion and become actual heroes? What do you think?
Rating: 3 Stars.

Image hosted by Amazon

8 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Jerry said...

Goody,
Wow! You've been on a movie spree. I'm gonna try to watch some New Years Eve. I went to see "Syriana" on the big screen. It was really good; a lot like "Traffic".

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger bsoholic said...

I want to see the exorsicm of emily rose, but I will have to view it with my girlfriend not around. She seems terrified of it.

Also, any plans to see Dark Water? I'd love a review on it, as I am totally unsure if it's worth the time and money to watch.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Jerry, yes I have. I go through these spells every few months or so, where I just load up on rentals.

B.S., as a matter of fact, I almost picked that one up yesterday. I hope to watch it in the next couple of days.

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

I have only viewed two of the movies in this post . The Dukes of Hazzard and The Ring Two . I hated the Dukes but I am use to the old version . Thank goodness we didn't buy this one like we do most of the time , instead we went to the local drive-in . This is one of those movies that people either love or hate and unfortunately I hated which is mostly due to the language because like I said , I grew up on the originals and we have the seasons on dvd for my son .

The Ring Two however , we bought , and it did answer some questions for me but I liked the first one better . I have heard that The Exorcism of Emily Rose is good and I plan on renting it soon but I have to wait until my offspring are not at home which might be tomorrow night . Thanks for the review Goody !

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Dana Y. T. Lin said...

Hey, Goody!

Found you from M.G. Tarquini's blog.

I love movies! But am a wee behind on the rentals.

I have watched The Ring 2 and a bit of Ring 1. I normally don't watch scary movies, but that's what we did for Christmas while the kids played in the backyard. SCARY!

I liked Brothers Grimm...but was hoping they did something with those old magical beans Ledger's character got as a kid. It was a good movie, but fell short in some areas.

Anyway, I just got here, I see I have lots of posts to catch up on. Nice to meet you!

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Welcome, Dana. It is nice to meet you as well.

I love scary movies (it's kind of my thing), but then I like pretty much any movie if it can get inside my head.

Thanks for stopping by, come back anytime...

 
At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! Used lcd projectors sale Tramadol tremadol withdrawal brookstone warm humidifier review humidifiers float valve fda.gov cder drug infopage accutane medicationguide.htm Dehumidifier humidifier Encore+premium+contact+lenses prozac and imitrex Diy automatic gate opener 2005 impreza sti subaru wrx Fuego manual renault service Wheel loader tires Toastmaster humidifier filters Perfume oil fragrance Ceramic radiator humidifier

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! »

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.