Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Idle Hands and All That...

I’m starting to get a little antsy. I have been between stories for a couple of weeks now. I told myself (and yes, my wife) that I wouldn’t start a new project until after the first of the year. It sounded good when I said it. Now, I am feeling a little…adrift.

Oh, sure I could use some of that extra energy to write some mind blowing posts for the blog, but looking back through my entries, I realize that really isn’t my thing. I could turn to my poetry, but that always seems to be a little dark for this time of year.

I figured the synopsis dilemma would be enough to occupy me through the holidays, but apparently, you people are far more creative than I and have helped me get passed my hurdle in marvelous fashion. Thanks again for all of the wonderful advice (both in email and in the comments).

Today is my last day of work until after the first of the year. So, I have even more time to be tempted by the lore of storytelling. Oh, now that I think about it, I am sure my wife will be able to keep my mind off my obsession for the duration.

I do need to make a pretty important decision in the coming days: What do I want to write next? I have a few choices to make. I could finish the third book in my vampire series. Yes, I said finish. I was about 20,000 words into it when I abandoned it in favor of The Dance. I have also been tossing around the idea of a major re-write of my first novel. My writing has matured so much, that I can’t help but think that I can write the story better. My other option is to write another thriller. I had a blast writing the last one, but I was constantly aware that I had unfinished business with my characters from The Plains series. Oh, decisions, decisions, decisions. I’m sure I will figure it out by the first.

Happy Holidays and Happy writing…

11 Comments:

At 5:37 AM, Blogger Bernita said...

Merry Christmas, dear guy.
Do what you feel like, not what you "should."

 
At 6:02 AM, Blogger bsoholic said...

Whatever you do, I'm sure it will rock! Have a great vacation. I'll be at work everyday except Monday. D'oh!

Merry Christmas!

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger lime said...

i still want to know what happens to sgt. crow! hehehe. in any event i am looking forward to whatever you decide to share with us. in the meantime youand the wife have that great hot tub to enjoy while you don' t write!

there's a little something for you over at my place.

merry christmas!

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Bernita, I have a feeling next week will find me knee deep in my next project.

BS, thanks for the vote of confidence. That sucks about the work, maybe it will be almost like a vacation if enough other people take off.

Lime, the hot tub will definately get a lot of use during the time off. As for Sgt. Crow, I may well have to work something out with him.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger snavy said...

Anything you write is wonderful!!

Sit back and chill!!

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Sandra Ruttan said...

I try to go with whatever's knocking at my consciousness the most, demanding I pay it attention.

Here's the thing - I think if you pick the project that isn't the best one to be working on at the moment, as soon as you start it, you'll know. It'll drag. It'll argue with you. And another project will be crying in the corner of your brain, asking why you don't love it right now.

I'm sure whatever it is you're meant to be working on, within two weeks you'll be sailing!

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks Snavy, I will do my best.

Sandra, That is a great way to look at it. I am sure the rite project will float to the forefront.

 
At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Jerry said...

Goody,
Am I the only one working for the remainder of the year? I have no more vacation days. Argghh.

Hey, enjoy the time off!

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks, Jerry. I hope I get the entire time off. I was informed as I left, that I am still on call and if any emergencies arise, I am right back in the office. Ah...the life of a Superstar. :)

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Anne Merril said...

I think you should use the down time to tackle the unfinished vampire novel.

 
At 5:57 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

It will probably be what I start out with at least.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.