Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Where did the week go?

I have decided that the main reason I need a hot tub is to recover from installing the hot tub. I have been digging ditches, running conduit, clearing wood and dirt, had the pad poured and quite frankly…I’m a little beat.

We are taking my son to a TU football game today. It is their last home game and since it’s my wife’s alma mater, she really wanted to go.

I had a rather lengthy post about being a vet, rolling around in my head, but on top of all the reasons above, my day job kicked into hyper drive and I haven’t had time to work on it. So, instead I thought I would re-post this poem about being a writer.

Ode to Writers


I answer the call
From my inner voice.
When the muse tickles my ear,
I have no choice,
But to put pen to paper, fingers to keys.
And so, the journey begins
With eyes so bright.
Innocence abounds
As my imagination takes flight.
The masterpiece takes shape
And my mind reaches for the stars.
I envision interviews with Leno
And my poetry read in bars.
The book is complete.
I hold it up with trembling hands.
The only thing left
Is for it to find its way to the fans.
I drop queries in the mail
And hope for the best.
My patience and resolve,
Will soon be put to the test.
Still the fantasy remains.
I will be the next big thing.
My fame will surpass
Anne Rice or even Stephen King.
Days, weeks, and months go by
Without so much as a word.
At last, I receive a letter
Address, written in my hand.
It is addressed to dear author
And they're not buying.
Well, what do they know?
Perhaps an agent is what I need.
I answer an ad in a magazine.
They like my work and for a small fee,
I will be published in no time,
Just you wait and see.
They had the speed,
I will give them that.
I had a dozen rejections,
In no time flat.
Don't let it get you down kid,
You've written a best seller.
We just have to find it a home,
Get it in front of the right feller.
Just send me more money
And we will be on our way.
I have a question or two
Before we proceed.
I've read through your list of publishers,
And I have to say,
You, sir, are a hack, a swindler, and a cheat.
If I had more than P.O. Box
With which to find you,
Your ass, I would beat.
My innocence has been replaced
With apprehension.
My sleep is still filled,
With the first timers dreams.
My words will be read
And hearts will be moved,
Emotions will be stirred.
With a single book,
I could change the world.
Someone, somewhere will read my words
And will be inspired to do great things.
I dream of a series of books,
crossing all genres.
I dream of books on tape
And book signings,
With throngs of people waiting
For a signature or at least a glimpse.
I dream of an adoring public
That falls so hard for my characters,
They become a household name.
All of this and more I dream.
No matter what happens,
I will always have my dreams.
My dreams are not goals,
They are fantasies and as such,
They will never be crushed.
I am a slave to the muse,
A whore for her voice.
I am a man that hears voices.
I argue with myself
And put it on paper.
I am a visionary,
A dreamer,
A fiend for the written word.
I am a writer.

17 Comments:

At 6:10 AM, Blogger lime said...

Goody, I have tremendous admiration for the skill, discipline, and devotion (obssession?) with which you and other writers like you pursue their dreams. Published and famous or not, you (and others) urge me on to reach for my own goals in other areas. Thank you.

Enjoy that hot tub too!! You've earned it!

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks for the kind words, Lime. It is indeed an obsession. One that I couldn't imagine life without. Writing is such an intergral part of my day to day...existance that I can't remember a time when I didn't have it to comfort me, to share my feelings, to give me both release and relief in times when the spoken word would do more harm than good.

Would it surprise you to know that I go through a couple of days of near depression when I finish a book? I guess it is a form of post partem. Just a sad feeling that a phase in the lives of my characters (and by extention me) is over. Makes me sound a little nutty, huh? :)

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger lime said...

It doesn't surprise me really. I feel depressed after I finish reading a book that has touched me in some way. I just hate for it to end, hate to say goodbye to the characters. Books have always been a comfort and a catharsis for me as a reader. why shouldn't they be for a writer? It makes perfect sense that a writer might feel that way. Maybe I am a little nutty too!

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger aka_monty said...

Goody, I loved it. :)

And seriously next time you put in a hot tub, make sure you live closer to me so that I can drop in on your family uninvited JUST to use the hot tub. And so I can enjoy your grill cookin'. ;)

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger snavy said...

I love that poem!

As you may or may not know my hard drive crashed. I lost all my music, very special pictures and all my writings since I started writing again this past July. I should have saved them to disk - I know. The music I can get back, my mom has a lot of the same pictures that i can copy but the writing is just gone -- I cannot replace or rewrite it. That makes me so sad. Live and learn I guess. :(

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Monty, thanks and I will try to put one in closer next time. :)

Snavy, I am glad you liked the poem. That sucks about the hard drive. I lost one last year. No backups and all of my pictures went up in smoke. It sucks big time.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Breazy said...

My personal opinion is that when your book hits the shelves then you are going to be a big hit . I am hoping that you decide to get The Dance published . Props to ya Goody ! oh yeah ... can I come over just to test the water of the spa ? hehehe jk

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks, Breazy. Come on over, I am sure the water will be fine by this weekend. :O

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger awaterpixie said...

I think there should be a Hot Tub party when the book is released... send the invites via 'blogmail' LOL.

::smooches::
mara

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Lol! now that sounds like a great way to have a kick off party. :)

 
At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Jerry said...

Hi Goody,
Just stopping by to say hello. You're the first blogger from Tulsa that I've read. I'm a former (and wish I were still) resident of Tulsa.

I enjoyed your poem. I'll have to catch up on your archives. Take care.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Hey, Jerry. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy the site.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

Hey Goody ! I just wanted to stop and see if everything is okay . I know that you are probably busy but you know that I am a worry wort so I wanted to check on you ! :)

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Hey Breazy. I am ok, I have just been slammed at work and my evening have been spent preparing for the hot tub. So i haven't had a lot of time to come up with any good posts (or today's chapter of The Dance). I hope to be back to normal by Friday or so.

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

that is cool ! I just wanted to make sure everything was okay . I figured you were just really covered up with things to do but I do tend to worry so ... lol

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger David Amulet said...

Well written--this captures a few of my thoughts (or, perhaps more accurately, subconscious urges) quite well! Thanks for the entertaining posts.

-- david

 
At 4:37 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

You're quite welcome David. I am glad you enjoyed the post.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.