Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Sunday, October 16, 2005

The Weekend Rents

We rented a couple of movies last night, both of which I enjoyed. One was a group of troubled minds being put to the test and their ultimate survival. The other was a bunch of troubled minds coming together to achieve the seemingly impossible.

Let’s take Mindhunters first. It starred the likes of Val Kilmer, LL Cool J, Christian Slater and Johnny Lee Miller. This movie was fast paced and full of twists and turns. It is story of would be profilers for the FBI. Their final test comes in the form of weekend stay at a hellish island. Yep, one by one, they start getting killed. They figure out fairly quickly that it must be one of their own behind the killings. Trust No one seems to be the theme of the day. The killer thinks of some very…very original ways to dispatch his victims. Some are down right gruesome, while others are just enough to make you flinch. There were several moments when I thought I knew who the killer was, only to have the plot switch directions abruptly. I honestly didn’t have it completely figured out until the final minutes of the movie. I will be adding this one to my personal collection.

Of course, I had one extreme gut check moment. The premise of their training on the island is that they are investigating a serial killer. Care to take a stab at what they have dubbed this killer? That’s right…it’s The Puppeteer. They find a victim that is strung up from all of their extremities and hung from the ceiling. Sound familiar? I hope so; it is eerily similar to the early work of my character in The Dance. Oh dilemmas, dilemmas. There are enough differences that neither characters could be accused of coming from the same source, but there are enough similarities that it makes me wonder if I should change Jerry’s public persona. As near as I can tell, both characters were probably created at the same time. I guess these things happen. The fact is, I don’t know that I can change my The Puppeteer, he is such an integral part of my story. In Mindhunters the character is barely mentioned and even then as a fictional character used for training. I guess I will just leave him be, unless told to do otherwise. It was a real shocker though.




Well, I wanted to do both reviews here, but I am having a problem getting both images to appear without cover some of my text, so I will break it into two posts.

3 Comments:

At 4:43 PM, Blogger snavy said...

I say leave Jerry as is! He is such a complex and unique character. You want to like him despite the fact that he is himself, a monster. I guess it's that he is the victim of Ryla - that's my take on it. The Dance is one of the best stories I have ever read - am reading rather -lol!

Anyway, this movie sounds like it is right up my alley - I will be renting it!

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Right on, I am actually leaning towards leaving it alone myself. Thank you for the huge compliment on the Dance. That puts a big ol' smile on my face. :)

 
At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Car cheap nyc rental 2gig usb memory cards Doran tennis Rolex watches raleigh nc Feminism and divorce Laptop keyboard driver corrupted xp Neurontin capsule http://www.samprastennis.info accutane http://www.review-of-car-lcd-monitor.info Dog burn care pain relief Colorado teeth whitening California page phone white Shipping crates moving services

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.