Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, October 10, 2005

Fair Update...

We had a blast at the fair; but then isn’t that why we go year after year? We had tons of food on a stick, funnel cakes and something called a Fat Ball (Which was really quite tasty, despite its awful name). We rode rides until the church crowd let out. After that, the lines became unbearably long. Sometimes it pays to be a heathen.

My son tried his hand at nearly every scam to take your money game on the midway. He brought home a hefty bounty of stuffed animals for his efforts, though. We found that the dart games seemed to suit him best. Everything else left him wanting to kick a Carney in the knee. Even at his young age, he takes offense to the feeling of being swindled. It warms my heart to see him taking to this life lesson so early in life. I have great hopes that he will avoid the ones that are obviously too difficult to win in the future. Some lessons can only be learned, now matter how hard you try to explain them.

We spent some time in the Expo Center, pursuing the fine wares of hundreds of vendors. We mostly checked out the Jacuzzis (my wife is starting to get the itch for one). She has been plagued with back problems for most of her adult life and this weekend’s race had left her in poor shape. The therapeutic touch of vibrating jets is rumored to work wonders for weak backs. Did you know that they have models with fountains, stereos, and even TVs built right into the unit? I have to tell you I was impressed with a couple of the stereo models. We are just starting to look right now, it will probably be closer to next year before we are ready to buy one, but it was fun to look.

I ran into Chuck The Sports Guy (by run into, of course I mean I went to the Z104.5 tent and he happened to be there). It’s kind of funny, when I used to go out all the time, I would see him at most all of my familiar haunts, but we have never really passed more than a few greetings between us. He seems like one hell of a guy though. I feel qualified to say that because I listen to his morning show everyday. Yes, I am aware that an on-air persona is likely vastly different than the real life one, but you know what I mean. You can still get a sense of the persons character based how they react to news both good and bad when presented to them on-air. After years of listening, I am willing to bet that he is a stand up guy.

I talked to him about the book that is coming out after the first of the year and asked him how one would go about setting up an opportunity to pimp my book on the radio. This being my first book, I really wasn’t sure what to do. He gave me some contact information, so at least I have a place to start.

I know what you are thinking, “But James, you have thousands of visitors here. Why would you need to look elsewhere for publicity?” Ok, maybe you weren’t thinking that (we all know how important it is to get proper exposure), but as the release date draws near, I am looking for ways to get my book in front of as many readers as possible. The local media seems like a good idea if I can manage it. Besides, how cool would it be to get to go on a radio station that you have loved for years?

8 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Blogger lime said...

Between, you and Brian I am itching for the fair. I missed our big one this year and all the other local ones pale by comparison. Glad you all had fun and that the boy is a schmart cookie. I think you should turn a blind eye and let him wail a carny in the shin.hehehee. Good luck with the radio spot! Hope it works out.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Thanks, Lime. I hope it does too. Maybe, when Ty is a little older, I will turn him loose on one of them. :)

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Breazy said...

It is good to hear that you had a good time . As for the hot tub , let me give you some advice , pay them to deliver and set it up ! My father-in-law purchased one and just to be conservative with money he decided that my hubby and I could help move it . It was heavy and akward. We had to go through the front of the house to get it out in the sun room on the back because the sun room is about 20 feet off the ground . By the time we got the thing back there we had to make two door ways wider , move an unattaced bar and several other things. On the publicity of your book , I don't blame you for trying to get it out there . Hope you have a good day ! :)

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger bsoholic said...

Sometimes it pays to be a heathen LMFAO, what an awesome line!

I went to our fair about a month ago, and it was quite fun. Glad you guys had a good time.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Breazy, I can assure you that I am far too lazy to attempt such a feat by myself. :)

BS, thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed my heathen comment. I am sure that my mom cringed when she read it. lol!

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Goody! Just wanted to let you know that I still come around here, just never have time to comment.

 
At 4:40 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

It's all good, Jenn! :)

 
At 5:59 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

Oh, darn it! We're missing the fair taking all our hard-earned cash. Bummer. Hee hee!

This weekend there's a fair up in Angleton going on. Everyone here in LJ is talking about it. We're not going. Probably just as scandalous as the TSF.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.