Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Saturday, September 03, 2005

A Time for Reflection

As I scrolled through my blog roll this morning, I ran across this. John Scalzi has written a thought provoking piece on being poor. I don’t know many people (yes, there are a few who don’t fall into this category) that have not experienced poverty, at least on some level. His post stirs a myriad of images, either experienced or imagined, that will no doubt pull at your heartstrings. His readers have obviously felt the effect and have added their own ideas of what poor means to them in the comments section.

Drop by and give them a read. As you do, take a look around you. Is this where you pictured you would be at this stage in your life? If the answer is yes, that’s great. Feel free to brag about your accomplishments. I know I could use a few success stories after all of the hardships that I have watched on the news and read in posts.

If it’s no, I would like to no your thoughts on why you think this is. Are you still striving to get there? You can drop your answers in the comment section or if you prefer not to make that public knowledge, send me an e-mail. I genuinely want to know.

As for me…am I where I thought I would be? My life is so far ahead of anything I thought possible when I was say…16 and younger that I am almost ashamed at how low my standards were then.

My standards are ever changing though, and I think I…we can do better. I want to get to the point that no one in my life need every worry about financial hardships ever again. I am there for them now, but there are times that the help is a strain on me. I see a future when it is not.

2 Comments:

At 1:05 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Wow. Deep. Your post, that is. I don't have time to read his now. But thanks for sharing your thoughts.

 
At 4:38 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

No problem...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.