Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Run, Forrest, Run!

Yesterday was a day of firsts. My son ran in his first race and my wife ran her first 8K race. We took part in the Hurricane Run. It was held at the University of Tulsa, where, incidentally, my wife received her degree.

The funny (est?) thing about my son’s race is he decided the day before that he wanted to do it. No training, no buildup, no questions, just, “Hey, I want to run in the race tomorrow.” We signed him up for the 1-mile fun run. I figured that would be far enough to let him know he was in a race, but not so far that it would discourage him from wanting to run another one.

The gun went off and he began squirming through the crowd with me in tow. He obviously didn’t need as much space to squeeze through as I did, but I managed to keep right on his heels. Once we had broken into a relatively clear spot, he began to sprint.
“Son, you don’t want to do that yet. You will run out of juice before we finish.”
“But it’s a race. I have to run fast.”
“You need to pace yourself. Save the sprint for the end.”
He slowed a bit, but I could tell he was still going too fast even for this short of a distance with no more preparations than he had. Sure enough, about a half mile in, he needed to stop and walk for a bit. After that, he paced himself and made a pretty good showing. He finished the mile in about nine and a half minutes. Not to shabby for his first time running. Oddly enough, that placed him about 74th in the open (out of over 200)

My wife, well…she never ceases to amaze me. She finished the 8K in just over 45 minutes. I am so proud of her. She said that she left a lot out on the track. She wasn’t sure how to pace herself so that she would still have enough energy for the “kick” at the end.
It was the last time running in this age group as her birthday is Monday. How does she plan to celebrate? She signed up for a 10K race next Saturday. Go, Baby, Go! Just for the record, I will not be running the 10K with her. I will just be there to cheer her on.

Last night we met up with our friends, Rob and Amy. We were brainstorming to come up with something to do for the evening and settled on bowling. We hadn’t been in ages, but it was a marvelous time for all concerned.

Today is going to be spent…doing as little as possible. I plan to catch up on some writing and my wife, she plans to do a lot of reading.

I hope everyone else is having a great weekend.

3 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Blogger snavy said...

Sounds like you've been having fun!!

We went to Mt. Wachusett Kid's Fest yesterday and had a blast!!!

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

We spent Friday night in our RV up on the lake and came back yesterday ! GO MRS. GOODY! That is an awesome way to celebrate your birthday and WAY TO GO TYLER!! Not bad for your first race ! :) My weekend is going great thanks for asking ! :)

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Snavy, I don't know a kid's fest sounds like a whole lot more fun than a bunch of running. :)

Breazy, sounds like you guys are putting the RV to good use. I passed on your sentiments to the wee one and the fast one! L0L

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.