Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Easy Like Sunday Morning

By now, my wife must be blazing a trail across Germany on a train. She left yesterday afternoon for Munich. Unfortunately, she wasn’t able to take a direct flight. So after spending, what….nine hours in the air, she then has a seven hour train ride to look forward to. I don’t envy her.

On the plus side, once business is over, she will be able to take part in Oktoberfest. The Munich Oktoberfest - known by the locals as the "Wiesn" - is the biggest public festival in the world and will be held in 2005 for the 172nd time. Each year, the Oktoberfest is attended by around 6 million visitors, who drink more than 5 million liters of beer and consume over 200,000 pairs of pork sausages - mostly in the "beer tents" put up by the traditional Munich breweries.

At the foot of the Bavaria statue, the huge Oktoberfest grounds also provide carousels, roller coasters and all the spectacular fun of the fair for the enjoyment and excitement of visitors of all ages.

The festivities are accompanied by a program of events, including the Grand Entry of the Oktoberfest Landlords and Breweries, the Costume and Riflemen's Procession, and a concert involving all the brass bands represented at the "Wies'n".

After which, she gets to begin the arduous journey home. It will be a trip that will be all the more pleasant with the hangover that she is sure to have after partaking of the biggest Oktoberfest ever.

My bed sure felt empty last night. I understand why she has to go, but I always miss her horribly when she is on these extended trips. I know, I know…there’s that saying that has something to do with distance and fondness and all that.

So, how is your weekend turning out?


2 Comments:

At 5:00 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

other than the traveling and work , I bet your wife will have a wonderful time. How long will she be gone ? My weekend is going good so far . :)

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Oh, yeah. I loved Germany and I am sure she will too. She was actually born there (her dad was a soldier), but this will only be her second trip back since then. I am glad you're having a good weekend.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.