Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

DOH...that's gonna leave a mark!

Yes, this is what stupid looks like and yes, I did this to myself. No, I wasn’t trying to be nominated for a Darwin award. It hurts like hell to type and yet…here I am gritting my teeth and doing it anyway.

I decided to venture out of the office today, something that I’ve done quite often of late. My guys were all hooked up on other projects and I needed some information tracked down, part of which required disassembling an existing PLC marshalling panel to trace out wires to see what was on the other end. So, I did what any good supervisor would do; I handled it myself. Well, I gathered up most of the appropriate tools, but I could find my diagonal cutters so I shrugged it off and decided I would work something else out.

As I started tracing out wires, I quickly found myself in a position where the wires were bundled and tucked into a hard to reach corner. I whipped out a pair of wire strippers and attempted to cut the wires ties. There wasn’t really enough room for me to use the sharp side of the cutters on the tie fastener, so I twisted, turned managed to get a little grip on it and tugged. It didn’t come free so I tugged a little harder. This time it came free, but when it did, it came so fast that I rammed my hand into a plastic cover, giving me a little scratch.

Well, that doesn’t seem very safe. I had better figure something else out, I thought.
So I looked around at the tight space and did a quick brainstorm about what I could use to get those damned wire ties loose. Aha! I bet my knife will fit back there. So I pulled the knife and stuck it in the corner, blade turned up and away so that I wouldn’t be cutting towards my body. I could get a good angle on it with the knife. By now I am good and frustrated, so I flip the knife and tried it with the blade facing down. Presto, I found purchase for the blade. However, as I applied pressure the bundle moved left and right. Yep, I took my other hand and put it in there to steady the wire. The blade went through and stuck directly in my hand.

Dumb ass!

Now I know I went into a lot of detail here and it looks like a lot happened, but in all actuality, these decisions were made in a matter of seconds. As soon as I felt the knife enter my flesh, I jumped out of the little lab trailer and into the gravel so that I wouldn’t be slinging blood all over the floors. It was spurting pretty good and I immediately knew that I would need stitches. I started to take a step but I started feeling light-headed. What, am I turning into a weenie in my old age? I’ve had worse cuts than this and it didn’t have this effect on me, I thought to myself. As I stumbling towards the front of my office trailer, my world seemed to be getting smaller. I used my radio and asked the plant manager to meet me. By the time he got there, I had to squat to keep from falling out. He grabbed some paper towels for me and I applied pressure while he brought me a chair. As the bleeding ebbed, I began to feel more like myself.

We loaded up and headed for the emergency room. The doc said the reason that I felt light headed was because I hit an artery, causing my blood pressure to drop rather suddenly. I had no idea there was an artery in that part of the hand. Anyhoo, it looks like I missed the tendons and there doesn’t appear to be any nerve damage. It was a pretty clean wound as far as cuts go. I guess the bone kept it from coming out the other side of my hand.

I suppose I should now be encouraged to spend more time in my office and leave the fieldwork to the field hands. Oh well, you live and you learn.

On a positive note, I managed to meet a few new possible readers. (Howdy and thanks for dropping by if you’re reading this). Yes, as I sat in the chair getting my hand examined, I managed to stay clear headed enough to ask the two nurses and the doctor if they enjoyed reading. With my good hand, I fished out my wallet and distributed business cards with links to my websites on it. Never miss an opportunity to pimp the website.

I talked to my wife about what happened and after her initial concern, she tried to make light of the situation.
“Well, I guess you will have another scar to add to your collection,” she smirked.
“Yeah, but I hear chicks dig scars.”
Somehow, I don’t think she found that near as humorous as I did.

7 Comments:

At 6:33 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

Oh my goodness ! I am glad that you are okay . Don't call yourself a dumbass either because we all do it sometime in life and we would be lying if we don't admit it . LOL! Anyways keep us informed on how you are doing .:)

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

lol...thanks, Breazy.

 
At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Robin said...

Yikes. Since you have kids, you'll now need a really good story for the future grandkids. You know . . . cougar attack, knifed while defending a young maiden's honor . . . "What? You didn't think I'd write about vampires without ever having fought one, did you?" ;~)

I hope the pain doesn't last long.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger bsoholic said...

OUCH! You are not a dumbass, your initial thought was to use knife safety and cut away from yourself. A rule I learned in boyscouts, sometimes it's much easier to cut towards yourself and the results, sometimes ends in gashes.

A few months ago I was drunk and outside smoking a cigarette with a friend. She dropped a glass on the pavement and as she was saying 'be careful, i just broke a glass...I was drunkenly falling down. My wrist managed to catch my fall, but on a huge shard of glass. Majorly cut, and bleeding heavily due to my already thin blood I thought 'I am a strong man, and the hospital is just going to give me problems because I am drunk, so I will heal up on my own. We butterflied the major cut with disregards to every bit of common sense. I eventually healed up, but what a nasty scar I have, and I think the muscles might of not healed correctly because every now and then a bit of pressure to the area I get some sharp pain. Like you said, you live you learn! LOL

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Robin, lol and I can probably have the story that evolves and grows more wild each time it is told.

BS, ouch...you're lucky you didn't hit something vital. as for the scar...I am still going with chicks dig them. :)

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger snavy said...

ooooo I dig scars!! Just kidding!

I hope you are ok and the pain dies down soon. I recommend that you stay in the office and delegate these things from now on.

Also, please do not run with scissors! (wink wink)

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

"Also, please do not run with scissors! (wink wink)"

Damn...there goes my afternoon plans! :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.