Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, July 04, 2005

The Weekend Rents

We managed to watch three movies this weekend. We picked up Cursed, Hitch, and >National Treasure

Let’s start with Cursed. This was a good old-fashioned werewolf movie. It was well written, had great special effects, and with the exception of a handful of almost too cheesy to bear moments, was a good flick.


A werewolf is on the loose in, now stay with me here…Los Angeles. A young T.V. producer (Christina Ricci) and her younger brother (Jesse Eisenberg) are attacked by a werewolf while trying to rescue Shannon Elizabeth from a horrible car wreck. The teenage boy instantly embraces what he has become, but the older, more levelheaded sibling doesn’t believe in werewolves.

It goes without saying that before the bite Jimmy (the younger brother) was an outcast at school. One of my favorite parts of the whole movie is an unexpected “outing” of a popular wrestler. The young man confesses his love for the newly transformed Jimmy. Jimmy responds with, “I’m not gay, not that there is anything wrong with that. I am happy for you. So, yeah…go gay and I’ll see ya! I would love to help you out with this, but I have my own problems right now. Ben, I’m not gay…I’m a werewolf.”

Anyhoo, this is not a movie that I will own, but it was definitely worth watching once.

Next on deck is Hitch. Wow, this movie was a complete and utter chick flick. It had all of the elements that would appeal to at least 75% of the women that I know. Boy meets girl. Boy gets heart broke. Boy becomes guarded. Boy meets new girl. Boy realizes that he never really new what real love was until he meets the new girl. Boy loses new girl, boy fights to win new girl back.


Have I lost anyone yet? I hope not, because I have something very important to say about this movie: I loved it. I laughed myself stupid. This movie was great. I normally don’t go for chick flicks (I know that sounds odd coming from a guy who likes all things horror), but watching Hitch (Will Smith) trying to teach Albert (Kevin James) how to be smooth was just too damn entertaining.

This one will be part of our collection and we will watch it over and over. If nothing else we will watch it again just for the dance scenes.

Our final selection for the weekend is National Treasure. You see, there is this treasure map and it is on the back of The Declaration of Independence. There is this family that has been searching for the treasure for generations. Nicholas Cage finds an investor that is crazy enough to go on this treasure hunt. Spoiler warning! The investor turns out to be a bad guy. Now the good guys are in a race to find the treasure before the bad guys can steal it.


Don’t get me wrong, it was a good movie. The problem is that I was expecting a great movie. It had the potential to be one and it often came close, but in the end, it fell a little short of greatness. It’s worth watching, but I don’t think I will own this one.

7 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Blogger JohnH985 said...

I haven't seen the first two movies, but I saw National Treasure and agree with you. I expected more and it just wasn't there. You've seen everything that happens in it in other movies. I was expecting a great movie and was disappointed.

Happy 4th!

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Happy 4th to you as well.

 
At 4:29 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

I've been wanting to rent Hitch. Sounds like something I'll have to rent when your cousin is out of town, just as I suspected.

Happy late 4th, you American hero you.

 
At 5:05 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Lol! Happy 4th to you as well.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Breazy said...

I haven't seen the first two movies either but I have watched National Treasure and I agree with you as well . I was really disappointed in this movie because like you said , it had so much potential to be a great movie but it just was not quiet there .

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Yes, indeed. Maybe they will do better with the sequel. :)

 
At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... »

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.