Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, July 25, 2005

Pigs in Space

Wow!!! I ran across the following fascinating little tidbit this morning and thought I would pass it along.
China is hoping to learn what, if any, effect cosmic rays have on sperm by sending pig semen into space, the BBC reports.
Around 40 grams of semen from high-pedigree pigs will accompany two astronauts on an October orbital mission, and will be kept both inside and outside the Shenzhou VI spacecraft.
Sperm that survives the voyage will be tested for effects of microgravity and used to fertilize eggs. The semen is from the Rongchang breed of pig, prized for its high quality of meat and physical characteristics.
China became the third nation to send a human into space, after the United States and Russia, two years ago.

How would you like to be on that project?

“Now, you see what we are gonna want you to do is take these bottles of pig semen with you into space. Well…I guess you will have to go collect some first. Yeah, we were gonna let you harvest it but PETA got involved, so you are going to have to get it the old-fashioned way.”
Envision the sound of Charlie Brown’s teacher as she spoke to the class.
“Because we want to see what the effects of space are on the little swimmers.”
The murmur not quite understood.
“Oh…er…let’s see…uh, no your little swimmers should be fine. This is a test ensure that pigs will be able to propagate when we colonize other worlds.”
Murmur.
“Of course, I’m sure. Now, here are a pair of rubber gloves and some vials; go make me proud soldier.”

Something about when pigs fly comes to mind here, but I just can’t bring myself to put it on paper.

I hope everyone had a great weekend.

5 Comments:

At 7:05 AM, Blogger boabhan sith said...

That's hysterical!

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger bsoholic said...

lmao!

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

I am glad you guys liked it.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger aka_monty said...

I'm wondering if those are the same guys who put the cows in the biodome to test the flatulence factor~they say that an average herd of cows creates more pollution than a car. Who's funding this?? ;)

 
At 5:00 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Actually, I am. I am paying them out out of my...piggy bank. :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.