Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, July 11, 2005

Is it Monday already?

The rest of my weekend involved: Fireworks, volleyball, a swimming pool, backyard barbeques, 2 visits from a Rogers County Sheriff, boating, tubing, wakeboarding, emergency room visits, big crashes, little crashes, and a whole lot of laughs.

“Didn’t he just make a post Saturday morning?” Well, yes…yes, I did, but a lot can happen in a couple of days, apparently.

Let’s start off with the Saturday’s escapades. We went to My Brother-in-law (Tom) and Sister-in-law’s (Tracy) house for some fine food, friends and fireworks.

They have a mac daddy pool and we were encouraged to bring swimsuits as it was going to be hot. There was just shy of a gazillion kids there, and they were all just dieing for me to get in there with them. “You are just a giant plaything, what can I say?” My wife teased as they swarmed me. I finally agree and dive into the pool. This is the signal for all of the kids to line up to my left with chants of “Throw me!” fighting for space in my ears with the sounds of laughter. Man, I like doing that, but my arms get a little rubbery by the 400th time I launch one of them into the air. I will just have to get stronger so that I can throw them until sundown. Thankfully, the call for dinner drug me out of the pool.

They had quite a turnout of the festivities and we decide to break into groups of nine and attack each other on the volleyball court. My word, that was a blast. You haven’t lived until you have seen a group of women go after a 6FT + tall man that just spiked the ball into the head of a 4ft+ tall women. I almost felt bad for him, almost.

When the sun went down, it was time for the big fireworks show. “But 4th of July was last weekend..” Yeah, and I know that, but you see they were all working on that fundraiser last weekend, so they were having the celebration this weekend. It turns out that some of the neighbors didn’t like the fireworks coming in so late either. The sheriff came out twice to talk to us about common courtesy. You see, they live outside the city limits and it isn’t against the law to set off works, but it is rude, apparently. In the end, he just asked that the fireworks be wrapped up as soon as possible.

Sunday, we set out for the lake. I spot Tom and Tracy’s boat pulling away from the docks and we go to meet them. By the time I pull up beside them, Lauren (their oldest daughter) is just crying her heart out. They are trying desperately to figure out what is wrong, but she is just screaming that it burns. “What burns?” Finally they help her take off her life vest (she is 13, but when you are in pain it can be difficult to maneuver) and she has red blotches all over her skin. She jumps in the water (hoping that it will cool the burn) and when she gets out, she has little blisters starting to form. Tom and Tracy left the other three kids with us and rushed her to the emergency room. It turns out that she had some sort of chemical reaction to something that was in her life jacket. They gave her some antihistamines and she seemed to recover quickly.

While they were tending to the rash, we were taking turns beating each other up with the boat. Between the wakeboard, tube and kids (apparently throw me works from the back of the boat as well as the swimming pool) I felt like an old man by the time we got home.
Hell…I guess I am not exactly a spring chicken any more. But I sure did have a good time. How was your weekend?

4 Comments:

At 10:39 AM, Blogger boabhan sith said...

I don't even feel like discussing my sucky weekend. lol

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Ah, that bad huh? I am sorry to hear that.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Breazy said...

I had a wonderful weekend and it sounds like you did as well !

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Yes, indeed. Glad to hear I am not the only one.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.