Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Girls Night Out...

We met some friends for Happy Hour yesterday at the Fox & Hound. Believe me; I needed to be happy for at least an hour. It has been a whirlwind of a week.

I found out that I was going to have to finagle a way that I could support two fully operating plants simultaneously. They are only about twenty minutes apart, but both projects are rather time consuming. I am sure that I can pull it off (With some seriously extended hours) for a maybe a couple of months, but anything more than that I will be facing burnout in a hurry.

Recognizing that there is a potential problem there, Steve (Quite possibly the single best boss I have ever worked for) arranged to bring in another engineer to assist me. The only one that was available that would be of any help to me, just so happens to be my old supervisor. It is quite apparent that he wants to fall back into his old role of running my group. I have already had to remind him a couple of times that he is there to assist, not run the show. To tell the truth, I don’t know if he will be able to stay on the sidelines. It doesn’t seem to be in his nature. He sees a project and wants to run with it. Hopefully we can get it worked out between the two of us, because I could use his help on various aspects of the project and an intervention from the higher ups may remove him from the project completely. I guess only time will tell.

As if that wasn’t enough stress, two of my vehicle decided to go on the fritz, at the same time. I dropped my motorcycle off for service and took my Trailblazer back to the dealership this morning. Hopefully one or the other will be ready to go before Monday. If not, my wife will be lucky enough to drive me back and forth to work (on her way to work) until one of them is. Yeah, that sounds like fun (if you like getting up an hour earlier than you are used to).

I could go on about several other things that happened this week, but I don’t want this to turn into a complete rant about how sucky my week was. For the most part it was still a better week than some I have had in years gone by.

So, we were sitting in the pub having a few laughs and swapping horror stories. At last, I felt the pressures of the week start to slip away. It felt good. One of the ladies in the group (I was the only male for the biggest part of the evening) said that she was waiting on a guy to show up that she had been talking to on the phone. I am not sure how they met, but apparently, this was going to be there first face to face meeting.

One of my friends from work (the only other male to take part in last night’s revelries) showed up and we decided to move out to the patio where it was quiet enough to hold a civilized conversation.

We are all laughing and carrying on, when the lady in waiting looked down at her cell phone. “Oh, it’s him.” She tried not to look too excited. He stepped out onto the patio, took a look at our group, and froze like a deer in headlights. The lady, recognizing the look of discomfort, steps up and whisks him a way for a more private first encounter. Much to our surprise she returns to the table after a few minutes, alone.

“What happened?”
“He got a phone call while we were standing there. It was another woman.”
“Whoa…”
“Yeah, he tells her that he has to meet with me for a couple of minutes and that he will catch up with her soon.”
“Ouch…what a pig.”
“Yeah, then he looks at me and says: ‘Oh, I didn’t realize that you wore braces.’”
“What does that have to do with anything?”
“I don’t know. So, I wanted to get my teeth straightened. What’s the big deal?”
“Is he still in there? I think I need to have a little chat with him.”
“There is no need for that. He isn’t worth the time.”
“But, he can’t just get away with saying shit like that. Let me at least go make him a little…uneasy.”
“No, I am pretty sure he is already gone.”
“That sucks…”
“Men are assholes…except for you, of course.”
“Of course…”
“I am going to move to Alaska and live in an igloo.”
“Uhm…okay.”
“And I am going to be a part time lesbian.”
“Part time…”
“Yeah, when I need companionship I will just mush my doggies into town and find a nice woman to take care of me.”
“That doesn’t really make you a part time lesbian, that just…”
“And I am going to write a book.”
“About being a part time lesbian in Alaska? Are you going to call it me and my dogs?”
“No, it is going to be about why men suck,” she huffed. “No offense.”
“None taken.”

And thus, the rest of the evening was devoted to man bashing, with me not being offended of course.

3 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Blogger Patry Francis said...

Hope next week is better.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

Feminist bitches.

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Patry- Thanks, I hope it is too and I am relatively sure it will be.

Red- You say that like it is a bad thing! :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.