Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Fire Mission

My God, what have I done? I asked myself in the split second it took for the rocket to change trajectories.

Wait, perhaps I should back up a little. My Brother-in-law and Sister-in-law run a firework stand every year. It’s a fundraiser to raise money for their children’s soccer teams to go to tournaments and what not. On Sunday, we went and loaded up on some big bad fireworks. We bought artillery shells, rockets, and a slew of multifunction sky displays, lots of lights, lots of boom and lots of ohs and ahs.

Several people from the neighborhood came out to watch, not just my fireworks, but those of nearly every other house in my edition. It is really quite an impressive display. One of the things I really love about my street is that everyone likes to celebrate the holidays.

I have strayed a bit, haven’t I? As I set up the fireworks in preparation of light off, my neighbors from across the street came out and set up some chairs in their driveway. I was just putting the finishing touches on my firing order when a few of my neighbors from up the street showed up. We were ready for the festivities.

I have a set order that I like to set off my fireworks. I always start with the smallest and work my way up to the grand finale. I grabbed up a rocket and strolled out to the launch zone that I had set up. I knelt down, lit the fuse and backed away. It went up about ten feet, turned around and crashed back into the yard.

“Well, that was exciting,” my wife teased as I doused it with a waterhose.
“Yeah, I don’t think that was what it was meant to do.”

I grabbed another rocket and lit the fuse. It soared high into the night and exploded with red, white and blue sparks showering down from where the rocket was last seen. Now that’s more like it, I told myself. I grabbed another rocket and it inspired another round of ohs and ahs. It wasn’t until I grabbed the fourth rocket that things went awry. I lit the fuse, stepped back and watched in horror as it only flew up about five feet before making a 90 degree turn. It flew straight towards my open-mouthed neighbors at the speed of…well, a rocket. Thankfully, it flew a little left of them and hit a tree that was between it and their front door. It didn’t seem to bother them at all. They just laughed it off, but it really freaked me out. I mean, if it were just a little more to the right, it would have hit one of them.

The rest of the night went off without a hitch. It was a lovely time had by all. Well, except for my dogs. They didn’t know what was going on, but they knew they didn’t like it.

Yeah, that was the end of the rockets. I think for next year, I will stick to the Artillery shells and big displays. It would be best for all concerned.

2 Comments:

At 8:31 AM, Blogger Breazy said...

sounds fun . I don't like to do the firework thing at home because of incidents like yours . I get freaked out easily and I am a worry wort so this year we went out to watch our local minor league baseball team play and there was a huge fireworks extravaganza after the game and the kids loved it . This will probably become our new July 4th tradition .

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

That sounds like fun. I am too much of a pyro to completely give up my fireworks though. :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.