Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Book Review: Digital Fortress

I just finished reading Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. This is the first of his works that I have read. I know…I know…The Da Vinci Code is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, but I just wasn’t buying into the hype. My wife on the hand, has been devouring his books like, pardon the cliché, they are going out of style. It was at her insistence that I picked up Digital Fortress.



I read the back of the book and let out a sigh.
“What?” my wife asked.
“I get it. The government let’s the NSA run unchecked and someone has decided that they are evil.”
“Evil, huh?”
“Yeah, you know…big brother and all that. They play a game of computer chess and in the end, it turns out that the NSA is ran by a team with a heart of gold and good intentions. Hooray for the heroes!” I laughed.
“You know what they say about judging books by their cover…”
“It wasn’t the cover it was the back.” I turned the book over in my hands a few times and then opened to a random page. I had estimated the page to be about 1/3 of the way into the story. Surely to god, by that point, the story ought to be in full swing. Page 162 caught my attention from the first line. His fat fingers groped every inch of her body. She fell on top of him and moaned and writhed in false ecstasy. As he rolled her over and climbed on top of her, she thought she would be crushed.

For the sake of this review, allow me to skip to another paragraph. Suddenly, without warning, the German’s body arched, stiffened, and almost immediately collapsed on top of her. THAT’S ALL? She thought, surprised and relieved.

I am sure that you are thinking, as was I, that it really wasn’t all and you wouldn’t be disappointed. I decided to give it a chance.

I absolutely devoured this book. I actually took away from my writing time so that I could read. Those of you who know me will realize the importance of that statement. I wouldn’t say that I am exactly OCD, but I do like to keep a fairly rigorous schedule. My routine allots so many hours a week for reading, so many for writing and so many for all other activities. It’s a good system, (for me at least).

Lies, betrayal, misdirection, mixed signals and not knowing what was going to happen next; this book gave me horrible flashbacks to my first marriage. All kidding aside, I loved this book. It hit the ground running and rarely stumbled at all. Dan Brown…you have a new fan. I can’t wait to get my greedy little hands on his other books. I guess every once in a while, the work does live up to the hype.

10 Comments:

At 11:43 AM, Blogger Patry Francis said...

It's interesting how a writer can produce several great books, but until he/she gets that mega seller, no one knows about it. It's the old "if the tree falls in the forest..." deal.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

No doubt. When my tree falls, I hope there are plenty of people within earshot.

 
At 1:46 PM, Anonymous mtreiten said...

Hmm. I read The DaVinci Code after it was forced on me. I'm looking forward to your review of that. I haven't read anything else of his, but I've no intentions of bothering after suffering through that bestseller.

It's face paced and all, but don't pattern your writing after his stuff. Please.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

lol! I agree on that. We definately have widely varying writing styles. Not that mine is any better mind you, but it is definately different and I intend to keep it that way.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger JohnH985 said...

It's weird, I read the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. When I was reading them I couldn't put them down. But as I read them I would think this is terribly written, or this is such a cliche, but somehow with all that he kept me reading. I'm not sure how he did it.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Smoke and mirrors. :)

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

Does Mrs. Goody enjoy reading also? What genre does she like?

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

A little bit of everything, but she really digs thrillers.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Brian said...

I've read "Digital Fortress" and loved it. I don't want to slobber all over Dan Brown here but I really enjoy his work.

Dude, you gotta read "The Davinci Code"!

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Yeah, I am going to go pick up a copy today.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.