Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

How I get my Kicks...

Ouch…it is indeed the morning after and I am so sore that I can barely type. Ok, that may be an exaggeration, but I am pretty darned sore. Why, you ask? What sort of self torture has he put himself through this time? Was it the Wake-Board? Perhaps, it was the flat tube launching him twelve feet in the air. Did he push himself too hard training for the next 5K race? No, it was none of these things that put me in this condition. In my infinite wisdom, I decided to make a triumphant return to the world of Martial Arts.

I signed my son up for lessons at Apollo’s Karate. He is about the same age that I was when I was first introduced to the sport. While I was there, I discovered that by signing him up, I could get a month of adult classes for free. The adult curriculum isn’t confined to traditional Karate. Though it is still a major part of what they teach, Mike Collins also teaches a mix of Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

“You have trained in Martial Arts before?” Mr. Collins asked during our orientation.
“Yes, I have trained in Karate, Tae Kwan Do, but I have also had a little training in ninjitsu and Capoeira while I was in the military along with the standard hand to hand training I received.”
“What belt…”
“No, no. It has been so long, I want to start over. Sign me up as a beginner and I will work my way up like the rest.”
“How long has it been?”
“It’s been about 12 years since I set foot in a dojo.”
“Oh…”

So, I had my first session last night. It went really well (quite a bit of my old training came back to me), but I could tell that I need a lot of work. My balance and focus have gone to crap and I have muscles screaming at me that I forgot even existed. I am sure that it is a temporary condition that will be rectified in the coming weeks.

If you live in Oklahoma and are looking for a good place to learn Karate, I highly recommend that you contact Mike Collins at Apollo’s Karate. Be sure to tell him that I sent you his way.

7 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Blogger JohnH985 said...

Ouch!

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Indeed, I think I would have had more fun if I went to Bonnaroo! :)

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Patry Francis said...

I used to study Aikido. This reminded me how much I miss it.

How are you doing with the two blogs? It gets to be a lot of work at times, but they both seem to have their own personality. Don't have the heart to drop either of them.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

They both have their advantages, but you are right, it is a lot of work to keep up with them both. I have resorted to duplicating content more often than not, to prevent drying up my finite amount of creative juices. :)

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger FantasticAlice said...

I took tae kwon do when I was 8 years old for a few years. Let me tell you, the stuff I was taught back then has stuck with me to this day.

Good for you!

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Oh, yeah...it is all coming back pretty quickly. but as I have heard before: The mind is willing, but the body isn't able (yet).

 
At 6:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read here

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.