Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

The Weekend Update

It was a great weekend, event filled and a good time was had by all.

Friday night I went to my writer’s meeting (OSFW). This was my second meeting and I can’t wait for the next one. There are several really great writers that attend these meetings and I hope that some of their greatness will rub off on me.

A portion of the meeting is reserved for members to read short stories or other pieces that they would like input on to help hone their skills. Only two people read their stories on this particular night.

M.T. Reiten, who is an outstanding writer, had several pieces to read, but finally settled on a story that he started, but wasn’t sure which direction he wanted to take it. The story itself was very captivating, but his presentation was what really set it off. Without going into too much detail, I can’t wait to read the completed work. It had the beginnings of a really great story.

I also had something to read. Though I felt a little like the kid in Comp II class that had to read his report directly after the student that used the Power Point presentation, I took a deep breath and read the prologue to my third novel. It was well received, but the general consensus was that it didn’t work as a prologue. I should add more detail and call it my Chapter 1. They offered some other advice, but since I am sure that this advice is more important to me than any of you, I think I will keep it to myself.

Saturday morning we indulged ourselves with a Star Wars marathon. It was actually my wife’s idea. I think she may be more excited than I am to see Episode III.

Saturday night was to be our (my wife and I) first ever 5K night run. It was the Full Moon 5K run held at Veteran’s Park. They had a kid’s zone, several different vendors and a large stage set up in the park. The runners were treated to a lovely outdoor concert before and after the event. Lou Gramm and Foreigner were the main attractions.

Some of the events we have been to before have a check in for the kid’s zone. This is primarily so that the children can amuse themselves while the parents participate in the race, without the parents having to worry about what their children were up to. We arrived at the park only to find that the kid’s zone was a virtual free for all. Oh sure, they had attendants to make sure that none of the kids hurt themselves or cut in line and what not, but there was no way that they could possibly keep up with which kid belonged to which parents. So, I elected to sit this run out and let my wife run the race. She is much faster than me, so it was a no-brainer.

As we walked around the park, I heard the sounds of angel flowing out of the giant speakers on either side of the stage. I had heard that voice before, but I had no idea that she was going to be singing at this event.

“Is that…?” I began as we walked closer to see who was on stage.
“It sounds like her.”
“Yep, it’s Jenny Labow.”

Ms. Labow is as talented as she is beautiful. She has become a bit of a local legend. She currently lives in California, but comes back to Oklahoma several times a year. Every place she plays in Tulsa is sure to be a packed house. Fame, talent and incredible good looks, one might think that she is untouchable. The fact is, one of the things that I find most appealing about her is her humility. I stopped to talk to her after her show and she all but blushed when I complimented her on her voice. She truly acts as if she doesn’t know why everyone makes such a big deal over her. She is a great talent and a great person.

My son and I moved to the starting line to watch my wife begin her race. The gun sounded and 2,000 people lurched forward. We cheered her (and our friend Kim) on as she weaved in and out, pushing passed people from the very beginning. Roughly 25 minutes later, she crossed the finish line. She placed 19th out of 143 in her age group, not too shabby. I am proud of her (as always), even though she still thinks she should have ran faster. She won’t be happy until she places 1st regardless of age group. You never know, she just might do it someday.

We decided to spend Sunday fishing. We loaded up the boat and set sail at the crack of…well, we actually didn’t leave the house until nearly 11:00 AM. Nevertheless, we still managed to find a nice cove to drop anchor in. Every time one of us threw a line in, a fish hit the bait. We didn’t catch all of them, but we did come home with enough fish for a good ol’ fashion fish fry. I even made Hush Puppies and fried potatoes to go with the fish. Good times…good times, indeed.

9 Comments:

At 4:45 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

We, too, are excited about Revenge of the Sith, one of us more than the other (guess who?).

Never heard Jenny Labow, heard of her, but not her.

Sounds like some tasty vittles. I made a yummy homemade fresh fruit salad on Saturday afternoon that Bones devoured over the weekend. A big-ass bowl of chopped fruit was gone in a matter of only 36 hours or so. What an oinker! And I only got a few bites. Bummer.

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

It didn't suck! (Episode III)and in place is was actually quite good.

Hottie Labow is one hell of a singer. If you get a chance, you simply must see her live.

Indeed, they were. Of course, half-way through preparing the meal, little Goody informs me that he doesn't actually like to eat the fish; he just like to catch them. Yeah, he came around to my way of thinking by the time I put dinner on the table. :)

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger JohnH985 said...

I saw Episode III and while I thought it was ok, much better than the first two, I had some problems with it. It just didn't put me on the edge of my seat like Empire or Return or the real first one.

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Yeah, I don't know if they will ever come out with a movie that does that for me.

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous mtreiten said...

Sorry it took me so long to respond to this. Thanks for the kind words on my piece, and I'm again sorry to have been pulled out of your reading. The only bad reading is where no one says anything after you finish. Seriously, where everyone just stares at something other than you. That didn't happen.

Missed you at Conestoga.

MT

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Your welcome. No worries on time span or anything else. I had every intention of making it to Conestoga, but I just couldn't pull it off. Sounds like I missed some good times though.

 
At 1:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY!
Casio np20 camera batteries uk Battery operated polar express train Buy provigil online27 Mitsubishi motors australia dell inspiron 6000 battery Sony battery pcga-bp2nx Side effects adult ritalin http://www.three-batteries.info/camcorder-batteries.html uk ecommerce web site design affiliate programs finder Discount codes for digital camera

 
At 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site Nissan nivara trucks

 
At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Rhinoplasty docters in south jersey cisco wireless ip phone Isuzu car part Cheap+diazepam run flat tires antivirus software New sealy posturpedic mattresses for cheap laptops computer shopping

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.