Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, May 02, 2005

The Weekend Rents

I picked up Elektra (and several others) at the video store this weekend. My son was just dying to see this movie. He is going through this “ninja” phase where everything that has anything to do with martial arts instantly catches his interest. I reluctantly agreed to rent it, but didn’t harbor any delusions that this was going to be a movie that I would enjoy. Yes, Jennifer Garner is a total hottie, but good looks, does not a movie make.

I pressed play and waited to be mildly entertained. I got the bonus plan, baby!

“Since time began, a war has been waged in the shadows between the forces of good and evil. It may be fought on a grand scale or within the heart of a single individual or even a child.

The evil has taken many forms and used the darkest of arts. In our time they call themselves simply…the hand.”

Before I knew it the credits were rolling. This movie kicked butt. It drew me in from the beginning and steadily pounded my senses with choreographed fights and awesome special effects. One of the villains in particular stands out in my mind. His name is Tattoo and get this, he has the power to make the creatures that are tattooed on his skin come to life and do his dirty work.

My only complaint is that the plot left little or no room for surprises. You pretty much know what’s going to happen well before it actually does. There are a few exceptions; for instance, this particular scene where McCabe sees a shadow under the door and shoots a shotgun blast through the door. He creeps up to the gaping whole and peers through, only to watch this big chunk of a man brushing the pellets away from his skin as if they were nothing.

The only other comment I made during the movie was that Dare Devil should have made a guest appearance. After the movie was over (as is custom), I flipped through the special features to check out the deleted scenes and wouldn’t you know it, they cut a scene were the blind lawyer from Hell’s Kitchen is chatting it up with Elektra.

In my humble opinion, this movie is a must see. In retrospect, I wish I would have seen this one in the theaters. Oh well, you live and you learn, right?

I intended to watch several movies this weekend, but I ran out of time. I will keep you posted as I watch them.

2 Comments:

At 8:24 PM, Blogger JohnH985 said...

I thought this was a really good movie too. I did see it on the big screen. Mainly cause I am a big Electra and Jennifer Garner fan, mix the two and I figure you can't go wrong. The critics tore this movie apart, but I enjoyed it. Too bad it didn't do what everyone expected, so there will be no sequels.

 
At 4:55 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Yeah, that is too bad. I wouldn't mind seeing the saga continue

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.