Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Is it just me?

I am at a loss. I have been struggling to discover where we went wrong as a society. We are in the presence of a two headed monster. Though the two heads are capable of independent thought (and quite frankly share opposite views more often than not), they share the same body. Without this body to sustain them, they would whither up and blow away. What? Oh, yeah I have seen fit to name them; they are: Entitlement and Intolerance.

I think I should address the lesser of these two evils first. Entitlement makes itself known to me at least once a day. Where do people get off thinking that they come into this world being owed anything? Give me, give me, give me; these opportunistic bastards are everywhere you look. Whether it’s frivolous or fraudulent (it’s a very fine line to me) lawsuits or my personal favorite, welfare abuse, these assholes are all but stealing directly from my pockets.

Everyone seems to be so quick to sue these days. Hey, it’s a great way to make some quick money right? I didn’t know that the hot coffee would be that hot. Make me a millionaire for my stupidity. You mean that I will gain weight if I supersize my McDonald’s Extra Value Meal? I didn’t see any warning signs; I think you need to pay me for my lack of self-control. You made my child feel stupid by giving him a 35% on that math test; I am going to sue the school for hurting my child’s self-esteem. We are almost to the point that we have to second guess everything that comes out of our mouth, for fear of being sued. Hell, I wouldn’t be surprised if I get sued over my post. What ever happened to the good ole’ days? You know…when if I had a problem over something that someone said to me, I could take them out into the parking lot and beat the shit out of them.

Don’t give me any of that “I’m poor and I can’t do anything about it” bullshit. If you don’t like the situation that you are in do something to change it. I went to school in hand-me-down clothes. I hate commodity cheese. I went without certain luxuries that other children took for granted and I watched my parents struggle to better their situation and you know what…they did. They used the system as it was intended, as a helping hand. Yet, we have families that have been on welfare for generations. They never have and never will actively search for a job. Why should they? Their parents went there whole life without lifting a finger. Need more money? Just have another baby.

I made a conscious decision early on, that I was never going to let myself be put in the situation that I had to depend on someone else to get by. I worked hard for everything I have and I expect those who keep my company to do the same. This is the land of opportunity, not the land of the hand out.

Now I would like to address something that has been on my mind a lot over the last few months. Intolerance will lead to the downfall of America. There are so many categories that fall into this particular beast’s mouth, that I couldn’t possibly cover them all here. So, let’s just take a topic that has gotten a lot of press of late; Homosexuality. Whether it is certain affiliates that would rather promote borderline child abuse than run ads by a church with “so what if they are gay as long as they believe in God” attitude or some backwoods jackass who believes that reading books will “turn” our young men and women gay, it is painfully clear that the majority of Americans still think of homosexuality is a choice. Ok, so that is not entirely accurate; there are some who think it is a disease. But, James...you’re not gay. Why do you care how they are treated? No, I’m not gay, but I have a lot of friends (and yes even family) who are and I get tired of seeing them treated like 2nd class citizens.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

It is the pursuit of happiness that concerns me for the purposes of this post. According to Thomas Jefferson, limp wrist or no; it is your unalienable right to pursue happiness. What is happiness? Is it pretending that you are something you’re not so that you can fit in to some narrow-minded view of what is normal? Is it denying your feelings to adhere to someone else’s definition of morality? Is it…living a lie, just so some uptight overly judgmental ass-hat, whose self-inflicted shame over his own latent homosexual tendencies probably drove him to his current crusade, can sleep a little better at night? If it just so happens that a person of the same sex makes you happy, who am I to tell you that you are wrong? Hey Mary, there’s your happiness…effing pursue it and shame on anyone who tells you how you should feel or imposes any gender restrictions on your heart.

Ok, rants over. I will return you to your regularly scheduled programming of bad jokes and dark writing after a short break.

7 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

Speaking of hot coffee, remember this?

Warning Labels For Dummies

There really are some dumbass "sue-crazy" people out there.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

No doubt. Ironically, i recieved an "invitation" to join a lawsuit against AT&T in the mail yesterday. I would recieve like 60 cents for my involvment. It just makes me sick to think how much money is wasted over this crap.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

One word - lawyers.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Ah, yes but without people running to them for every little thing, they wouldn't have as many chances to stick one in and break it off on the little guy (or the big guy for that matter).

No I can't blame the lawyers, they are just doing what they do. I think the fault lies with parents who didn't teach their children to take responsibility for their on stupidity...er, mistakes and sort problems out on a one on one basis.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger JohnH985 said...

I could make a long comment on your post. We live in a world where people don't want to take responsiblity for their own actions. It was someone's else fault. But I can't right now, I'm in too good a mood, just wanted to let you know, my Dad went through the surgery and everything went good. The doctor said everything went great and they got all the cancer. Thanks for all your good wishes, it means a lot.

John

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

John, I am glad to hear that your Dad is ok. And feel free to leave as long a comment as you want over here (when you are in a better mood, of course) :)

 
At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! rapid response henry ford Pontiac window decals preggo nelli dacore cooktop compare dyson price vacuum cleaner coloring pages cowboy boots pontiac vibe reviews 2b canada

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.