Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Weekend Adventures

My plant is in the middle of a “turn around”. This usually means that the plant is down and I get a much deserved break from supporting it. Sadly, I think I received more phone calls this weekend than I did during the entire last run. Most were just easy questions that I was able to answer and return to my weekend in under a minute. However, there were a few that were not only too complicated to take care of over the phone, but came in at the most inopportune times.

On Saturday, we went to Rob and Amy's house, for a little food, fun, libations and Black Jack. We were mere minutes from the start of the tournament when my cell phone rang.
“Hello, Mr. Goodman. Sorry to bother you, but we are experiencing a few problems with your control system.”
“What kind of problems?” I ask, between bites of food.
“We seem to be losing data. All of our trends have flat lined and none of our remote programs are seeing the historical data.”
“But, you don’t need any data this weekend; the plant’s down for the next couple of weeks.”
“Not all of it. We are running a feasibility study with the upgrader section of the plant.”
“On a Saturday? Why couldn’t these tests wait until Monday?”
“Because we are going to run the upgrader on Monday. You do remember that it isn’t part of the turnaround, right? We are going to run it for as long as we can.”
“Uh…yeah. I knew that.” I stuttered.
“You didn’t know that, did you?”
“No, I didn’t.” I admitted sheepishly. “I will be there in a few minutes.”

Luckily, it didn’t take too long to fix the problem and I was able to return in time to lose the tournament. We did a chip count at the half way point and I was up $330, but I was in second place. I started betting a lot more boldly in an attempt to close the gap between us. Yeah, I was the first one out. I was only a few hands ahead of my wife though, followed shortly by everybody but Rob. This is the first time that one of our tournaments didn’t last the full thirty rounds.

On Sunday, my phone rang like crazy while I tried to prepare my boat for it’s first trip in ’05.
“We don’t have any GC data.”
“How can you have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat?” I asked randomly.
“What?”
“Never mind, it was just a Pink Floyd reference.”
“But, we don’t have any GC data.”
“Try to remain calm; I am going to walk you through this. I will stay on the line with you until help arrives.”
“Aren’t you coming out here to fix it?”
“That was my emergency operator impersonation.”
“Why would you do that? We still don’t have GC data.”
“I was just trying to be funny.”
“Well, you shouldn’t.”
“Why?” I asked, sensing the stress in his voice.
“Because you are not very good at it. So, are you going to retrieve my data or not?”

Thus it was noon before we ever dropped the boat in the water. We fished for nearly six hours and didn’t catch nary a fish. What up with that? My fish finder showed them all around us, but none of them wanted any of our juicy minnows. Oh, well there is always next weekend.

5 Comments:

At 5:24 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

You forgot about the wee bit of relaxation (and ribs) on Saturday night. I feel left out. :(

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Don't feel left out. This post is actually over a week old (I carried it over from my PM blog). I haven't posted about last weekend. You did a fine job of comemorating the event and decided not to follow up on it. How ever in hindsight perhaps I should. Do you think there is still time? :)

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Don't go changinggggg, just to try to please me... I love you just the way you are!!!!!! :)

 
At 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » »

 
At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP film editing schools

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.