Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Friday, April 08, 2005

An Evening of Farming and Family Fun

About a month ago, my wife and I were having a conversation about gardening. Through no fault of my own, during the planting portion, my mind locked on a really old memory. No, it wasn’t a memory of my earliest gardening experiences. It was, however, an image that came rushing out of the deep recesses of my brain and demanded to be noticed. It was an image of a neatly manicured garden that several rows of crops that were covered in gunny sacks.

I asked my wife if she had ever seen the movie, to which she just raised an eyebrow. Yes, I forgot the conversation(s) that we had about the fact that she missed nearly ever horror movie released before she was 25 or so. Her viewing of this movie now became my quest.

I searched the web, made a quick visit to e-bay (I did manage to resist the urge to break into an impromptu musical number) and searched through their titles. Low and behold, not only did I find it, but it was now on DVD. Wait, not just any DVD, but a double feature DVD that had the movie in question and Deranged on the same disc. The whole package was offered at the low low buy it now price of $6.90. Wow, what a bargain; they obviously didn’t realize the true value of the little treasure they had in their possession.

In the weeks that passed as I waited on the movie to arrive, I touted it as being a cult classic. That it deserved to have a space right up there beside the Shining and Rosemary’s Baby. This movie was, indeed, a must see.

At last, it arrived, gracing my mailbox with its presence yesterday afternoon.
“It’s here!” I informed her with glee.
“Goody!” She returned playfully.
Being the conscientious father that I am, I waited until my son was settled into his room for the night before popping it in. As we waited, I read a few blurbs to her from the box.
“Well, would you look at that; it has Wolf Man Jack in it.”
“Really? When was this thing filmed?” She asked, her skepticism rising.
“Let’s see…Oh, here it is. Looks like about 1980.” I answered with my best cat who ate the canary grin.
“Hum” was her only reply.
“Hey! Cliff from Cheers has a short appearance as one of the Punk Rockers from Ivan and the Terribles.”
“Is this a B movie?”
“Well…it is on the B side of this disc, but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t a fine piece of filmmaking.”

Finally, I set up the disc and let her run.
“Did he just shoot out that tire or did it blow out by itself?” She asked as Farmer Vincent watched a horrible motorcycle accident occur right next to him.
“You will just have to watch and see.” I shrugged.

Over the next hour or so, she was bombarded with such information as:
“Well, you’re too late dear; I put him in the ground this morning.”
“Who gave you permission?”
“Ma’am, in this county, it is perfectly legal to bury someone if there are extenuating circumstances.”

Oh, and we can’t forget: “It takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer Vincent’s fritters!”

Do you have it figured out yet? No? Well, just be patient, I will call it by name before this post is finished. You have my word on it.

The credits begin to roll and I look over at her with a smug look on my face. Yep, she was sound asleep.

“Hey! You didn’t like it?” I asked, wondering how that was humanly possible.
“Meh, it was alright.”

So there you have it, ladies and gentleman. Motel Hell receives a solid “Meh” from the Mrs.

Are there any movies from your childhood that you have went back, watched and wondered what the hell you were thinking? If so, send them my way. Chances are, I will probably enjoy them.

3 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Blogger aka_monty said...

I had that one at 'gunny sacks' :)
Motel Hell is a favorite of mine, ever since I first saw it (pre-cable...when it was calle VUE)

"It takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer Vincent's fritters.
(Oh, found you by way of Red...I like it here!)

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger James Goodman said...

I am glad you enjoyed the post. This is one of my favorites as well. I think they should give it another run in the theaters! :)

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! » » »

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.