Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Drats! Foiled Again.

Ah, an evening of friends, revelry and getting your ass handed to you early in the game. We had our monthly get together on Saturday night. A group of friends and I play a Blackjack tournament once a month. We play for bragging rights, of course, because it would be illegal to play for actual money. Never the less, the competition is fierce.

There were ten of us playing this time (the number varies based on whoever is in town and what not) and a couple of new faces in the crowd (Hi Adam and Lisa). We each start out with $200 in chips and play for 30 hands.

I played aggressively. I played wildly. I made ludicrous wagers and backed them up with smack-talk. I lost all my chips by round 15. Yes, I decided to try a new strategy and it failed miserably.

We do a chip count and a fairly lengthy break at round 15 and I went “all in" hopes of putting some distance between me and my friends. At the break, my buddy Travis had accumulated nearly $500 worth of chips. Amy was the only other person that was fairly close to him with around $300.

Apparently the break cooled Travis’ winning streak, because he lost 8 consecutive hands and didn’t make it to the end of the tournament. My wife was playing rather conservatively and was still fairly close to $200 as they entered the final 10 hands. So, under my tutelage I managed to talk her into a couple of reckless wagers that bumped her out of the competition in just a few short hands. With only five hands to go, the ladies were ruling the table. Jennifer, Amy and Lisa were the only ones left. Amy had a commanding lead and Lisa was nearly broke (at one point, she was down to $20). Her husband, Adam, convinced her that the only way she could win was to go “all in” every hand for all of the remaining hands. Since this is all for fun, our Blackjacks count as 2 to 1 or double your wager. Lisa won the first 2 of her five wagers then got three, count them three Blackjacks in a row! That put her at $510. Yeah, she took the tournament, pushing Amy into 2nd place.

Such is life; the thrill of victory and that burning sensation of having it ripped from your grasp. Oh well, there is always next month.

2 Comments:

At 10:39 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

Bummer. Glad you weren't playing with my money.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

Sure, you say that now, but what if my wild plan would have worked. I would have been thought of as a gambling genius.

People would be lining up to give me their money to gamble with!!!!!! :)

Oh, wait...what were we talking about again?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.