Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Answers & Advice

It’s time for another edition of Answers & Advice. This one isn’t really asking for any advice, but I couldn’t really see changing the name just for this (hopefully) one instance.

Let’s get the formalities out of the way first: If you like what you see and have odd questions over any subject matter; send them to me and I will answer to the best of my ability. If you have questions but would rather not see them (or just your name) on the blog, be sure to let me know in the e-mail. Otherwise, I will consider them fair game.

If at any time, you read my advice and think I am way off base, just let me know, supply advice that you think would be more valuable, and I will be sure to pass it along to the appropriate party.

Dear Mr. Goodman,
I met you at the Con down in Dallas. Your attitude was very light and upbeat. You had a smile for everyone. Your stories and anecdotes were either funny or passionate, but they were always entertaining. I, quite frankly, found you charming as hell.

I sat with you at the bar and watched you dole out free drinks to other con-goers seemingly at random to writers and fans alike. When I asked you why you were doing that, you simply said, “I like to make people smile.”

You seemed to know the entire staff (not only of the con, but the service workers in the hotel as well, on a first name basis. Yet, you claim this was your first Con and you never met any of these people before.

Then we come to the business cards. You handed out several, just while I was with you. What were you thinking with “When you have absolutely nothing else to read” as a slogan? Aren’t you afraid that a slogan like that (I do have to give you points for humility) you would get filed (or more likely thrown) away, because honestly who has nothing else to read?

It did however, pique my curiosity. So, I checked out your sites. Nothing about your conversation or apparent personality prepared me for what I read. How can you be so funny and your writing be so dark? You should change your slogan to “When you want to be deeply disturbed.” And that dream, you wrote about. You made that up didn’t you? It read like a story (other than the fact that you used “little” a little too much). If it were really a dream, how were you able to remember so many details?

Aside from the shock of meeting one person and reading another, I am really enjoying your blog. I can’t wait to see what you post next.


Best,
X


Well X, let me begin by saying thanks for the kind words. Flattery may not get you everywhere, but it can sure take you to a lot of cool places. It was very easy to be upbeat at ConDFW because you knew that everyone was there to have fun.

As for the drinks, I actually didn’t buy any for anyone that I hadn’t at least spent a little time with. It’s just something I do. I really don’t know why.

It really was my first convention. I just…did I mention that I had a really good time?

On the subject of my cards, I have one word for you…advertising. I have a relatively small readership and I hoped to increase it. As for the slogan, I was trying to be funny. Apparently, I really don’t do funny well.

Apparently it worked, as you are now a new reader. Not everything I write is dark. Did you not see the joke I posted yesterday? I didn’t make up the dream; I wrote it in as much detail as I could capture, but it was still a dream. Thanks for pointing out the “little” thing. I would correct it but by now the damage is done. Did I mention that it wasn’t a story?

It was really nice meeting you as well. I am glad you like the blog and I hope you are surprised to see what I post next.

I am sure that you have noticed by now that I didn’t print your letter in its entirety. There are just some things about my life that I would rather keep private. I realize that may seem strange after reading some of my posts, but there is a limit. I do appreciate your interest though. Maybe at another convention, I will answer at least one of those questions for you.

Take care,
James

4 Comments:

At 5:31 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

You should go back to school and get a PhD. Either that or donate a gadzillion dollars to one so they'll give you an 'honorary' PhD.

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger James Goodman said...

I have actually considered that on more than one occasion. I have a few things in the works that might help me to that end.

I have just under 20,000 shares of Syntroleum stock. I look for it to bust wide opne by the end of 2007. When it does I will be able to quit work and go back to school full time.

A far less likely opportunity is that I hit the literary lottery and one of my books takes the nation by storm. In this scenario, I quickly find myslef making enough money from royalties to again, quit my day job and go back to school full time.

Until then... Answers & Advice will have to be given by the wholly unqualified. :)

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

waiting on a new post...*yawn*...hmmm, think i'll take a nap in here since it's quiet and nothing's going on

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » » »

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.