Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Monday, February 28, 2005

Strange Dreams

I had the strangest dream last night. It is made stranger still by the fact that I remember most of it. Usually, I can remember bits and pieces of dreams and even those fade away rather quickly. It was a really bizarre dream and I am not sure what to make of it.

I was hunting (which I haven’t done in over a decade) in a forest. It was snowing and I was following tracks in the deep snow. I put up my arm to move a branch and I realized that I was wearing my Class As (Army dress uniform) instead of camouflaged BDUs. I kept trudging along, all the while catching glimpses of something moving ahead of me.

The wind began to pick up, blowing snow up into my eyes. It blew harder as I came closer to my prey. Then I saw the beast between the trees. It looked similiar to a wolf, but it was huge and malformed. Its body looked a little like what I imagine the elephant man’s would look like if it were covered in fur.

I pulled the string of my bow back. It was beautiful, carved of wood and wrapped in leather for my hand to grip. I was aware of how cold the shaft of the arrow felt as it rested on my index finger.

As I brought the bow down, putting the arrow in line with the beast, the wind started to whisper. It didn’t have the sweet voice that one might thing the wind would posses. It was low and gravely. It was speaking the words to a most peculiar song. I remember thinking that it was an odd way to honor me.

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy, when times are gray. You’ll never know dear, how much I love you. Please don’t take my sunshine away.

I let my arrow fly and the beast howled. Its howl grew in intensity. It made me fall down covering my ears. When it finally stopped, I could still hear the wind droning on about its sunshine.

As I picked myself up, I realized that I was now wearing buckskins. I had broken my bow when I fell and the land had changed around me. I was surrounded by fog. I couldn’t even see the trees at first. Then as it began to disperse, I found that it wasn’t fog; it was smoke. The trees were now all burnt and twisted. I was standing in the middle of a barren wasteland with the wind calling me sunshine.

I started to walk towards the fallen beast, when it became apparent that I was no longer walking in snow; it had turned to ashes. Ashes were falling from the sky as heavily as the snow had been before.

I looked down at the beast lying in the ashes. Its blood flowed at from both sides drawing what looked like wings in the soot around its body. I reached out and turned it over. It was me. I was wearing the skin of a wolf and I looked about ten years younger, but it was definitely me.

Then I woke up.

Anybody out there know what to make of that? I gotta tell you, it has disturbed me more than a little. Of all the dreams to stick with me after I wake up, this wouldn’t be one I chose voluntarily. To top everything else off, I have that stupid song in my head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.