Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Something's Rotten in the State of Oklahoma

Has anyone else been plagued with scammers firing off emails? Here is one that I have received in at least four variations:

Security Center Advisory!

ID of Request 92579vxnmfdWAMU is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its community of buyers and sellers. To protect the security of your account, WAMU employs some of the most advanced security systems in the world and our anti-fraud teams regularly screen the WAMU system for unusual activity.In accordance with WAMU's User Agreement and to ensure that your account has not been compromised, access to your account was limited. Your account access will remain limited until this issue has been resolved. In order to secure your account and quickly restore full access, we may require some specific information from you for the following reason: We encourage you to log in and restore full access as soon as possible.Please follow the link below and renew your account information : https://login.personalwamu.com/logon/logon.asp?dd=1&Update&Your&Info Should access to your account remain limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further limitations on the use of your account or may result in eventual account closure.Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure meant to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to temporarily suspend your account.Thank you for using WAMU!



Even if I had an account with WAMU I wouldn’t give out my personal info over the Internet. Do these emails really pull in the suckers? I find it hard to believe that anyone would actually fall for this, but if no one is taking these people up on their scams, why am I still getting these emails.

I have received emails saying that I have won an obscure lottery in another country and they just need my bank account info so that they can transfer the money. Another variation of this one, is the guy that another guy actually won the lottery but can’t claim it for some legal reasons and is willing to give you 10 million if you help him out. Oh, and he just needs your account numbers.

I have had several emails from African countries claiming that they are about to be unjustly accused of a crime and need a place to hide their money. They will give you millions if… yeah, you guessed it, you give them your account number.

One of my favorites was partially self-inflicted. I was selling a car on-line and was contacted by a “buyer” that was commissioned by some rich Japanese businessman that has a Mustang fetish. He is willing to pay twice the amount that you are asking for the car if he can just wire the money directly to you. He will of course need to see the car first. So be a nice chap and sign over the title, put it in the car and I will arrange transportation to have the car delivered to Japan. Of course Mr. Yoshimoto will pay for the cost of freight. Once he is satisfied with your car, he will wire the money.

Honestly, do I have some invisible tag associated with my email address that declares me to be a dumb ass? Is jgoodman@goodysworld.com translated into jgoodman@pleasetakemymoney.com once it travels into cyberspace? I could see the confusion if my name was Mark, as it might be a twisted kind of funny to make a man named Mark into a mark; a joke within a joke, if you will. But as it is, I am just getting annoyed with these people.

So, again, is anyone else getting these things? I would really like to know if it is just that I have been targeted for some reason or if these things are going out to everyone.

1 Comments:

At 2:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » » »

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.