Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Going to the Big D

Only 45 days to go. Sounds like a long time, doesn’t it? Perhaps it doesn’t. More than likely, it just depends on the subject. For instance, if I were to tell one of my employees that they were suspended without pay for 45 days; that would be a long time. What if you were told that you had only 45 days to live? Then 45 days suddenly becomes a very short time indeed.
An example, that I can readily identify with, would be if my dentist told me that he would have to peel my gums back so that he could work on my roots then sew them back together every 45 days. Again, 45 days suddenly seems like a blink of an eye. What a strange example, you say and most days I would agree. However, last Friday my dentist did some major work on the left side of my mouth. I have been fighting to find a good balance of pain and painkillers every since. You see it turns out that pain makes me a little cranky and painkillers make me irritable. Yeah, I’m sure I have been a joy to be around the last few days. I know, I know: “Quit being such a baby. It’s just a little dental work. Don’t you know that women can give birth without any pain medicine and whine less than you?” Whatever, my mouth hurts.
As an added bonus, my mind seems to be barely more than mush. I seem to be having the darndest time sticking to one train of thought. Gibberish seems to have ruled the weekend. It is much better today, but by no means over. I am hoping to make it the entire day tomorrow without (a.) taking any pain medicine and (b.) taking anyone’s head off.
Oh, I almost forgot. What was the significance of 45 days? We only have 45 days until ConDFW commences. This will be my first convention and I am really not sure what to expect. I hope it is a good opportunity to meet other writers and make some knew friends. I will have to admit that I am a little afraid that the other attendees will already be friends and are not looking for anymore. Which as I read back over that last sentence sounds almost ridiculous and I can only assume that the painkillers must cause a little paranoia. How could everyone at a convention already know each other? I have a few stupid questions that I haven’t been able to find on the website. What do I wear? Do I go with jeans and sweater, business casual, suit and tie or bathrobe and slippers (which would be my preferred work attire if I had it my way)? What’s the deal? I will probably just go with business casual and bring along all four just in case.
Hopefully, I will see some of you there. I will be the shy guy in the corner wearing the shirt, tie, jeans, and big pink bunny slippers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.