Rants, Raves, & Random Thoughts

Shameless self-promotion of my writing skills or lack there of.

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Another Man's Treasure

My mom loves to go to garage sales. My son loves to go to garage sales with my mom. Anytime he spends the night with her, that is what they do the first thing the next morning. Actually, the first thing would be the huge spread she cooks for his breakfast, and then they hit the sales in search of the next greatest lost treasure.

About two months ago, she bought Ty his first CD. He was digging through a box and found one that he just had to have: Freddie Jackson’s Life after 30.

On the car ride home, he begged and pleaded until we put the CD in my deck.
“Dad, please! You are going to love it; I swear.”
“I have never even heard of him, son. What makes you so sure I will like it?”
“Look at the front of the case. How could the music not be cool?”
“Have you ever heard this guy’s music before?” I asked wondering how he could have.
“I think I have heard of him, but I couldn’t tell you the name of the song.” My wife piped in.
“Yeah dad, he is all over the radio.”
“Fine, give me the CD”

I listened to every song with an open mind, but I’ve gotta tell you; I am not a big fan. My son on the other hand thinks it is the greatest CD in the world. Every time we are in the car, he is constantly begging for us to play his CD.

“Didn’t I tell you to leave that at the house?”
“I didn’t hear you. Since I did bring it can we at least play it?”

Of course, he has never asked for a CD before so he doesn’t have a CD player in his room. It didn’t take us long to realize that drastic measures were going to have to be taken to prevent either of us from over loading on Ty’s new CD. Track number 2 gets the most play, he really seems to like that one.

Anyhoo, we discussed our options after he went to bed the other night. If we buy him a CD player for his room, then we start the long battle of, “Turn that darned radio down, now!” way earlier than I was expecting. On the other hand I don’t know if I can handle another road trip of A) All she really wanted was a real good man Or B) listening to my son whine about how it is the only time he gets to listen to it (we have banned him from playing it in the house). Or C) telling him to knock it off and watch him mope around for the rest of the trip because I got onto him for getting excited about music. We opted to give him a portable CD player with headphones. Problem solved, right? You would think, but sadly, no, this isn’t the case.

Last night we settled in to watch a few movies we rented and Ty kicked back in his chair with the headphones on. As the movie rolled on, my son began to sing. Of course, since he had the volume on the headphones turned up he had to sing loud enough to be able to hear himself.
“Ty.” I called to which I got no response.
“Ty.” I called again, but this time a little louder.
“Ty!” I bellowed, getting his attention.
“What?” He asked pulling the headphones off of his ears.
“We are trying to watch a movie, could you please not sing out loud?”
“No problem dad.”

We resumed the movie and not five minutes later, my son was singing again.

“Ty!!” I bellowed again, this time cutting right to the chase.
“What?” He asked pulling the headphones off of his ears again.
“You are still singing. Keep it down a little.”
“Don’t you like the way I sing?”
“It’s not that. We are watching a movie and part of watching a movie is listening to the dialogue between the characters so that the images on the screen make since. So could you please stop singing, so that we can understand what is going on in the movie?”
“Oh, ok. No problem dad.”

He actually waited a good ten minutes this time before he started singing again.
“Ty!” My wife and I yelled in unison.
“What?”
“Turn off the head phones or go to your room.”
“So, you don’t want me to sing any more?”
“Not while the movie is on.”
“If you don’t want me to sing down here, I guess I will just have to go live under the stairs.”
“Where did that come from?”
“Ah, that was a great movie.” My wife said.
“Oh yeah, I had forgot all about that, but I doubt if he would have seen that anywhere.”
“Well then he is trying to have himself a little pity-party so that we will feel sorry for him and let him have his way.”
“Am not.”
“Yes, you are.”
“Am not.”
“Pity-party, pity- party”
“Stop it. Dad, mom is hurting my feelings.”
“Ah, am I hurting your feelers?”
“Children! Knock it off. If you feel that strongly about living under the stairs, I will help you move your stuff under there. I don’t think you bed will fit though so you will just have to sleep on the floor with some blankets.”
“I don’t want to live under the stairs.”
“Too late, you already said that you were going to.”
“No take backs” Mom added with a snicker.
“But I was just playing; I really don’t want to live under there.”
“Well, I will make you a deal. I will let you stay in your room if you promise to quit singing Freddie Jackson while we are watching movies.”
“No problem, dad.”
“Yeah, I had a feeling you were going to say that.”

2 Comments:

At 5:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. »

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Mona said...

LOL! That is firmly dealt with. Children CAN be quite a handful & businessmen too! You really have to negotiate with the little politicians! :D

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Unclaimed Money Search - It is estimated that 9 out of 10 people are owed unclaimed government money and don't even know it! Find out how much you're owed with our free trial search.